Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

What shotgun should I get under 300$?

I've been hunting all my life and i think i should get a new 12 gauge . I'm thinking about a 12 gauge remington 870 model motified choke. What Should i get?

• bferg
    Favorite Answer

The 870 Express is a great gun. I've had one or more in 12, 20, and 410 since the late 80's when they were introduced.

A new one will come with screw-in choke tubes. Some with only the modified choke, others with improved cylinder, modified, and full choke tubes so you have the option to swap out as needed.

The link below shows the different 12 gauge models offered now, and must beat WalMart pricing since there are several under $300. They list the wood stocked and synthetic stocked 12 ga. with one barrel for $298. A local gun shop I deal with is usually within $5-$10 of the pricing that Able Ammo lists on their website so you should be able to find one locally at or under $300.

http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/advanced_search_re...

I have 3 barrels for mine now. The 28" vent rib barrel that came with it, a fully rifled rifle sight barrel for brush hunting and driving deer, and a fully rifled cantilever scope mount ported barrel for hunting out of my tree stands.

With those 3 barrels it's one of the most versatile guns I own.

Here in Ohio we can't use rifles for deer, so you'll find a LOT of 870's in the woods during gun week.

I think you can't go wrong choosing an 870 Express regardless of what barrel combo you decide to go with.

Remington 870 Express.

The remington 870 is an excellent choice. If you choose to get a shotgun with a single fixed choke, modified is the best 'jack of all trades' choice.

Remington 870 rated in Field and streams as the 2nd best shotgun ever made

We use Remington 870s at work. One of the most reliable shotguns out there.

We have some that have been in service for 25 years and we STILL use them.

The Remington 870 is a great gun, no doubt about it. But you have blown your budget by about $97 according to Wal-Mart (you won't find new shotguns cheaper). I say it is worth the extra 97 bucks. Life don't start and stop with the 870 though.

For under $300 you can also get a Benelli Nova. It is a 3.5' that punches well above its weight in price. Charles Daily makes the 3.5 Maxi-Mag for $211. Daily even has a semi-auto model under $300. Don't ever forget the Mossberg 500, Wally World lists it at $302. That's cutting her close, but it is worth it.

I own, and have had great luck with all of the above shotguns listed. In most situations I will use the Benelli or the 870. The 870 is better all the way around, if nothing else for accessories sake. They will all do the job nicely it just depends on what you want to spend. Go out to the stores, see which one feels the best. Don't be afraid to make a fool of yourself by over-handling them to see which one you like the most. As I always say, the price justifies it.

Wal-Mart Shotguns: (Remington, Mossberg, Daily, but no Benelli)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/catalog.gsp?cat=170...

The Benelli Nova:

http://www.impactguns.com/store/benelli_nova_pump....

Source(s): Soldier/Hunter/Armorer/Competition Shooter.

If it was for personal defense I would say mossberg 500, but the 870 is better for hunting!

• WC

You picked a good one. The Rem 870 is the standard of sportsmen and law enforcement for decades

get the 870 man I love mine buy the express super mag model that way you can shoot all the way up to 3 1/2

Rem 870 is the best choice.