Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Why The Hell Did They Cast Vince Vaughn As Norman Bates?

I mean come on, the remake should have never happened in the first place but there were countless other actors who could have fit the role of Norman better; not dorky and goofy looking Vince Vaughn. He is good for comedies but he ain't no Norman Bates.

Favorite Answer

...I would tend to agree with some of the posters, with regards to the casting of actor Vince Vaughn, in director Gus Van Sant's pointless scene-for-scene remake of the classic "Psycho". Anthony Perkins' performance of Norman Bates (...at least, when he wasn't decked out as 'Mother') was very innocent and disarming; seeing the film for the first time, one couldn't possibly imagine his character being even remotely capable of perpetrating the ghastly violence, which he ends up doing. Though is WAS quite difficult to put the classic Alfred Hitchcock film off my mind, when viewing the remake, as well as fully understanding what was to eventually happen, I still felt very uncomfortable with the incarnation of Norman Bates, as portrayed by Vaughn, from frame one of the film...like, from the first time you meet him, he didn't seem quite right...

• abid

Vince Vaughn Norman Bates

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): hell cast vince vaughn norman bates: https://tr.im/sOTuo

In general, I have a problem with modern remakes of classic movies, but I was pleasantly surprised by the update Psycho. It was very, very close to the original, and I thought Vince Vaughn did a great job as Norman Bates. Are you telling me that his awkward, socially stunted, incredibly eerie performance didn't creep you out even a little. I'm sorry, but he played the part well. If I could complain about anyone, it would be Ann Heche, and she was gone quickly enough to make it all okay.

You call Vince Vaughn dorky and goofy, that's exactly what Norman Bates was. You are not presenting a very good argument here.

I don't think Vince Vaughn is dorky and goofy, but I absolutely agree that he was miscast in this role. Anthony Perkins was perfect and the original was done perfectly and the remake was a horrible disaster. It NEVER should have been made. The character should have been played by someone nerdier, lankier and more boyish. Perhaps a Tobey McGuire or someone like that.

• Kris S

You're forgetting one thing: Vince Vaughn wasn't playing goofballs when he was cast in Psycho. He was known as the guy in a Jurassic Park movie.

It wasn't until after this disaster of a choice that he stuck with the comedies and became a household name.

• Lynn

Well, he must have been convincing as Norman Bates, or they would not have cast him. Actor's are supposed to be able to play different roles, thats their job.

• zero

vince will always be norman bates to me.

i thought he pulled it off quite well.

• frank

Anne Heche has no discernable talent you should be complaining about her.

I copuld make a better actress out of nose putty