Anonymous

Why do Orthodox Jewish women shave their heads?

I know that this is not practiced by all orthodox jews. It's only in a small group (Hasidic Jews). But why do women shave their heads and wear a wig after? I have read that it is a matter of modesty, but I don't understand the link.

Muslim women cover their hair to avoid sexual attention from other men and show their hair only to their husbands. I don't understand why a woman would be bald for her husband and wear a wig outside.

I am not trying to offend anybody, I'm just interested in learning the reasons behind certain traditions.

Favorite Answer

First, this info was copied from a website that a local rabbi sent me to for answers on some q I had re Hasidic traditions. I trust it.

Q-11: I have heard that Hasidic women shave their heads on their wedding night. Is this true? If so, why?

Although some (not all) Hasidic woman do shave their heads, this practice is not based on a religious commandment, but is a custom based on a number of possible reasons. There is no requirement to shave one's head. But, as explained in Question #4 above, a woman does start to cover her hair after marriage, and some women prefer to keep their hair very short, because it is more comfortable under a wig or a scarf.

Regarding the custom (in some groups) to shave the hair on the wedding night, this can be traced to two things that got combined. First of all, a woman goes to the mikveh (ritual immersion) just before her wedding, and every part of her -- every single hair -- must be submerged simutaneously. Naturally, it is easier to do this if the hair is short and cannot float on the water.

In addition, there was a time in Europe when the non-Jewish kings or other rulers had the right to sleep with any bride in their kingdom on her wedding night. This was recently dramatized in the Mel Gibson movie, Braveheart, which was set in Old Scotland. But it was also true throughout much of Europe, including the Eastern and Baltic areas where most Hasidim lived. In many cases, "Prince Charming" was the local rapistand not so charming at all.

You can imagine how horrible it would be for the bride to have to submit to a rape. So the bride often tried to prevent this by shaving her head completely, in the hope that the ruler would think she was ugly and leave her alone. After the wedding, some women grew their hair back, while others chose to keep it short under their head coverings.

We should also note here that the American custom for everyone to ":kiss the bride" is not appropriate at Jewish weddings, and is not practiced by Hasidim or other Orthodox Jews. The personal privacy of the bride is to be respected, and a woman should not have to submit to kissing every man at the wedding. The bride and groom also do not kiss each other in public.

One very nice custom at all traditional Jewish weddings is that immediately after the ceremony (and before the reception), the bride and groom are led to a private room where they are left completely alone for a while. Two Jews serve as honor guards and stand outside the door, to be sure that their privacy is protected. During this time the bride and groom, who have been fasting all day in preparation for the wedding, break their fast with their first meal together as husband and wife. Many non-Jews today are also adopting this beautiful custom, because it gives the couple a chance to be alone with each other before facing the reception line and festivities that follow.

• A5 years agoReport

THIS IS BULL SHET!

• ?

Women With Shaved Heads

• cynthy

Female Head Shave

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Muslim women cover their hair to avoid sexual attention...

Source(s): orthodox jewish women shave heads: https://shortly.im/LoTtW

It really depends, I won't say it as a fact that orthodox Jewish women shave their heads, for example, Breslov and many other j orthodox women are not makpid on this. Most Hungarian chasidim do since a psak was given by the Chasam Sofer for women to shave before mikvah to prevent chatzitzos. The Satmar Rebbe was also very against women not shaving their heads.

• Heryun

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axvB9

Yes, they were Orthodox - very Orthodox - Haredi. There is a large Jewish community in Florida. Haredi carry the Jewish concept of tzniut (modesty) to a very far degree. Tzniut comprises not just behavior, but the way people dress. Married Jewish women are required to cover their hair. This can be done with a sheitl (wig), snood, beret, baseball cap, bandanna, what have you. The sheitl is traditional among Haredi. Reform and Conservative women do not generally do this, except in shul (and not everyone in Reform does at all). Hope this is helpful for you.

There are many methods to make our hair grow faster, shine , glitter in natural ways without using chemicals. Learn here https://tr.im/HairLossTreatments

Men, and sometimes women, notice that their hair is thinning prematurely for several different reasons. Age, menopause, pregnancy, genetics, illness, and other factors all play a role in hair loss.

Sure, you can use drugs or you can go in for a hair transplant or fusion, but sometimes the easiest, most inexpensive solution, is to try to stop hair loss naturally.

Only Hasidim do that (what I like to call ultra Jews, which isn't a good thing) even the Orthodox temple in my town don't do that

Source(s): I'm a Jew. Reform one, at that

Deuteronomy 21:11-13 refers to captive brides. If an Israelite conquered a people and discovered a beautiful virgin woman he could force her to marry him. There were gracious (for the time) rules to allow her to weep for her lost parents and people before being forced to marry.

Medium duration hair because it is easy to be able to handle and you can still carry out most of the hairstyles