Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 decade ago

FBI......CIA......ATF and the Military?

I am currently enrolled at a private college where i am majoring in Criminal Justice, as well as Political Science. When i graduate next year, I am planning on joining the military to help me with my overall career.

The problem i am having in relation to this is the following:

Im not quite sure which branch of military, if any, are perfered over another when applying for a government job within the FBI, CIA, or ATF.

I understand that these government organizations do not disqualify you due to a certain branch, but i was wondering if it is a plus to be in a particular one.

If anyone who either works within the FBI, CIA, or ATF has an idea, i would greatly apprecaite the the help with this question, or any other advice you might be willing to offer. Anyone else who believes they may have imput, please do not answer this question with an unsure guess or your own bias opinion that might not be true.

Thank you.

Favorite Answer

The agencies are not concerned with which branch you have served as long as it was an honorable service. Unless you are specifically applying for a position in the agencies which can be translated to the military. If you wanted to be a agent in charge of Navy vessels than your best bet would be the Navy..In the long run it makes zero difference..Good luck.

Being a United States Marine, I of course am going to be a little biased, but I'm certain that you could agree with me on a few points I'm about to touch on. Having the United States Marine Corps on your resume is probably going to count more "image-wise" that any other brach due to the popular legacy that surrounds it. That's where my bias ends. You can ask anyone that has worked in the military or around military personnel; in today's military, the Marine Corps will offer you the most intense training, will put you through the most stress, and will strain your physical limits before it matters, so that when some **** goes down, regardless of whether you're an infantryman or a military or civilian law enforcement officer, you'll be capable of mastering the situation. I'd look into USMC military police, you can look into the other service's equivalents, military intelligence in any of the branches, Explosive Ordnance Disposal (also gets you a security clearance) and Marine Security Guards (the men who guard our embassies, nukes, and have security clearances, probably would be my top pick). Hope this helps.

So, military rule would not be corrupt with no sign of purity in police, executive, judiciary and other ruling pillars? Apallingly naïve. Why not have the Indian electorate be as pure and efficient as some demand the govt to be? Then they'd create a pure and efficient govt.

I'm in the Army. My father was 28 years with ATF.

It really doens't matter. The FBI does have an affinity with the Marine Corps--they share facilities at Quanitco--but there's nothing official in that and it had no bearing on hiring.

Any honorable military service will help you in applying with any of these agenices.

• john k

Think about the long term what job are you seeking then look at which branch can give you carrer/job that will give you experience in areas that the longterm job would need; there is no reason you can't look and / talk to each branches recruitrrs, before deciding anything.

dude, don't major in CJ. I've been told by countless police officers that they're sick of every wannabe-cop majoring in CJ. Everything you learn in 4 years of CJ, you're going to learn in your probationary year(s) on the street. As long as it's a major that involves critical thinking (liberal arts, math) then they're happy. A word of advice i was given was to pick a major that you would be happy teaching to other people, in case you either get disabled or bored once you get your pension.

It shouldn't matter which branch you're in, though i'm sure it'll help you to have been in one which involved weapons on a daily basis (security forces, MP, infantry, etc.).

Also, for the FBI, you'll need at least a Masters degree, if not a law degree to become a field agent. CIA will take you though, especially if you've picked up a foreign language (hint, rosetta stone, arabic or chinese, hint). ATF will also take you, but i'd advise against that unless you happen to be a corrupt asshole who likes to harass people over technicalities...

i dont really think that they wouldnt take you because of the branch that you were in i think they see it all as service but if you are looking to do more field work then i would say either army or marines because they tend to get more field experience and if you go army then you have the opprotunity to go to ranger school, SF school, Airborne, Airassault and a whole bunch of other things that can make you look more desireable..

think about it if you wanted a field agent who u want going after drug dealers would you rather have someone who was a former ranger and had airborne experience or someone who "sailed the 7 seas"

Source(s): Wars aren't won by dying for your country. They're won by making the other son of a b*tch die for his."