Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

Would you be willing to give me the recipe for your favorite Home Made Soup.?

Thanks in advance

(Mmm, soup!)

By the way, I'm an experienced cook - I don't need obvious details...

Favorite Answer

This is a good winter soup.

Wintergold Stew

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 onion, peeled and diced

2 stalks celery, chopped

1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced

4 garlic cloves, peeled and minced

6 cups water

2 cups diced peeled butternut squash

2 cups diced peeled rutabagas

3 teaspoons crushed dried oregano

1 1/2 teaspoons paprika

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

2 cups chopped kale

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Heat oil in a large saucepan oil. Add the onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic, and sauté for about 5 minutes.

Add water, squash, rutabaga, oregano, paprika and salt; bring to a simmer. Cook for 40 to 45 minutes over medium-low heat until the rutabaga is tender, stirring occasionally.

Stir in the kale and cook for about 10 minutes more.

To thicken, mash the squash and rutabaga against the side of the pan with the back of a spoon. Stir in the parsley and let stew stand for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.

Here is another one that my family really enjoys

Corn Chowder

2 tablespoons butter

Extra-virgin olive oil

1 onion, diced

2 garlic cloves, minced

6 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

6 cups canned vegetable stock

2 cups heavy cream

2 Idaho potatoes, peeled and diced

6 ears corn

Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves

Heat the butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and thyme and cook until the vegetables are good and soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Dust the vegetables with flour and stir to coat everything well. Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Add the cream and the potatoes, bring to a boil and boil hard for about 7 minutes, until the potatoes break down (this will help to thicken the soup and give it a good texture).

Cut the corn kernels off the cob and add to the soup. Season with salt and pepper and simmer until the corn is soft, about 10 to 12 minutes. Stir in the parsley and give it another little drink of olive oil. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.

Hope you like these.

Source(s): Own a catering company

My favorite is my own version of Hamburger Stew

I peel and quarter about 6 medium sized potatoes, cook until almost done. In a skillet I fry up some lean hamburger with onion (drain). Add the meat mixture to the potatoes, add two cans of Veg-All large cut vegetables, one can of corn, one can of tomatoes, two cans of tomato sauce, salt, pepper, garlic salt and let that mixture simmer for an hour. Make sure you stir pretty often. Noodles can be added if you want. It is delicious and filling on the first day but even better on the second. I serve with piping hot corn bread. mmm good!

Split Pea Soup

1 lb split peas, rinsed an sorted

1 meaty ham bone

1 medium onion, quartered and 1 quarter studded with 3 cloves

2 carrots diced

2 stalks celery diced

1 bay leaf

2 quarts beef stock or broth

2 quarts water

2 cloves garlic crushed

In large stock pot saute carrots and celery in small amount of oil. Add split peas, ham bone, onion, bay leaf, garlic, broth and water. Simmer 1 to 1/2 hrs or until peas are tender. Remove ham bone and remove eat from bone. return 1/4 of the meat to the soup and puree til smooth. (puree all the vegetables in the soup as well.) Cut remainder of meat into bite size pieces and return to soup. Heat thoroughly and serve. You can garnish with a dollop of creme fraiche if desired and a sprig of parsley or dill. Serve with warm Italian bread or corn bread.

I love spicy foods and I have found a good spicy soup.

1 can tomato sauce

1 can chicken broth

1/2 can water

1 package taco seasoning mix

3 cooked and cut boneless skinless chicken breasts

1/4 cup jalapenos with juice

I throw it in the crock for 4 or 5 hours.

Sometimes I put in veggies if i have them on hand. ( corn, peppers, beans)

I serve with cheese and tortilla strips. It is really good and a great way to use up leftover chicken and vegetables.

I tried to make a ham and potato casserole in the crock pot one day and it turned out to be an EXCELLENT ham/potato soup!!!

2 pkg THIN ham steak (cut into 1/4ths or cubed)

2-3 med/large potatoes (cubed)

1 Lg. can Cream of Mushroom Soup

1/2 med onion

1 pkg Frozen Brussell Sprouts (optional)

salt

pepper

1.Layer the first ham steak on the bottom.

2.Then layer the potatoes and Onion.

3.Layer the Brussell Sprouts (if wanted) on top of potatoes/onion

4.Layer the 2nd ham steak on top.

5. Pour can of Mushroom soup on top of that (undiluted)

Cook on Low for 4-6 hrs

Enjoy!!

Source(s): from my creative kitchen to yours...

Beef stew:

2 lbs stewing meat

4 oz of salt pork (diced)

2 large boxes swanson broth

1 bag frozen onions

1 bag (fresh) carrot chips

3 stalks of cellery cut in 3/4 inch chunks

1/2 a package fresh rosmary (chopped)

2 tbsp miced garlic (jarred)

1 can died tomatos

8 baby red potatoes cut in 6-8 peices each.

Salt/pepper to taste.

3- tbsp cornstarch disolved in a little cold water. (to thicken)

Put potatos, frozen onions, celery, carrot, tomato and garlic in large crock pot. Add broth, garlic and rosmary.

In a hot skillet brown the diced salt pork. Put it into a a crock pot. Brown stew meat in the drippings. Add to the crock pot.

Cook 6 hours on high or 8 on low. 20 mins before serving add the cornstarch/water and turn to high (to cook the cornstarch).

Best ever this time of year, makes a ton. Get some "gladware" to freeze some for later. I made it this week for my DH and BIL

i admire soups and characteristic various favorites and that they selection in accordance with who i'm making them for. yet those are the excellent 2, i might say. the adolescents bypass loopy for my lentil soup which I more advantageous from the old Progresso soup label for their lentil soup. They replaced their recipe two times on condition that then however the unique ingredients make the perfect soup. I saute chopped celery and celery tops and onions. upload a bay leaf, a huge tablespoon of tomato paste, veg boullion, washed lentils, water, garlic powder and a frozen block of spinach or mustard vegetables or kale and cook dinner. now and returned I upload carrots or cooked pasta. My husband and brother love Tuscan sausage soup which mimics Olive backyard's soup. it is sauteeing sausage and garlic and onion, including crushed warm pepper, fowl broth or different easy broth and kale and chopped potatoes. cook dinner until eventually potatoes are soft and upload in maximum of a can of evap milk. now and returned, I upload in white beans. now and returned I puree the beans to make a thicker broth. now and returned, I bypass the sausage and upload a ton extra garlic. soups are so versatile that way--you are able to relatively exchange them around with despite you have handy or sense like that day!

I don't have a particular soup

but here it is one I used to eat many years

-pepperoni and onions put in oil and cook them till tender, add fresh tomatoes and cook another few minutes, then carrots and potatoes and squash,and parsly, and after they are really tender and slightly fried,you pour water and cover till ready,about 50 minutes

then serve with cream on top or without, don't forget about the salt, but don't use pepper.

I usually set up my crock pot with whole chicken pieces to simmer throughout the day in chicken broth, with sliced carrots, sliced celery, mushrooms, and a bay leaf. When I get home from work, I scoop out the chicken bones and add noodles or rice about 30 minutes before I want to eat.

I would if i could but they never turn out the same even if i make the same soup today and tomorrow they don't taste the same i just make them up as i go along