Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Atheists who have STUDIED the Bible?

What parts of the Bible do you disagree with the most? I would like specific details and not distorted claims. I'll give an example. The virgin birth. There are some who say it should have read 'young woman' as opposed to 'virgin.' However, I have read there is no Hebrew word that only means virgin. From what I have read, the words in Hebrew that translate to virgin also translate to 'young woman.' Also, if you read the entire chapter it is clear she is a virgin. She told the angel Gabriel she has not been with a man. So, obviously she is a virgin. Also, this is one of the messianic prophecies from the Old Testament.

So, I would like to see some good arguments for why you do not believe in the Bible. I would like to see details and scripture because this will show you actually studied the Bible. And I know you don't believe in God so saying 'the Bible is not true because there is no God' is also not an appropriate answer.

Favorite Answer

I'm sure you're going to get a lot of answer but what will this really prove? It's not as though anything in the bible is evidence of anything beyond some historical and geographical accuracy.

"So, I would like to see some good arguments for why you do not believe in the Bible."

I accept that some of the places and mundane events in the bible are or may be accurate. But that is no more evidence of the divinity or supernatural claims than accounts of David Koresh or Jim Jones.

We know with 100% certainty that Georgia and the US Civil War exist or existed, that doesn't make Scarlett O'Hara a real person.

I'm not exactly an atheist, but I don't agree with the Bible very much at all.

What do I disagree with? "I am the Lord Thy God". I don't believe that the Bible is a completely accurate historical account of the beginning of the world, the Life of Christ, or a description of the end of the world.

Chances are that I've studied it more extensively than most Christians, as I used to be a Christian who actually studied it. I was a music minister and taught Sunday School. The main problem with the Bible is that there is no evidence to support the main characters' existence.

People say that the Old Testament prophecies prove the divine nature of Christ. What evidence, other than the tales written of Christ prove that the New Testament stories are accurate descriptions of his life?

There are silly arguments such as those indicating that the Bible is as reliable as American History, and that to dismiss it as evidence makes about as much sense as dismissing George Washington as the first president of the United States. The difference is that we have multiple sources and reason to believe the veracity of the historical documents of our country.

With the Bible, such is not the case. The Bible is a spiritual collection of various documents designed to promote a particular spiritual view. It has scant external corroboration, and in the few cases where such is found, there is reason to believe that it may not be authentic. People have actually created artificial artifacts to try to bolster the claims of the Bible. Would this be necessary if the Bible were demonstrably true?

Depending on whom you ask the bible is nothing more than an attempt to translate and copy the Torah in Latin and Greek. According to some Moses is the author of the Torah receiving it from through divine inspiration or through dictation. Which is strange to say the least since his death is also written into it and proves further that it is not a trust-able, non corrupted book of truths. Also it is said that the torah was not and never has been in chronological order in other words the book is not listed exactly when events took place it skips events and puts them in with other time periods that the event didn't happen. So, it is a well known flawed book which by default makes the bible a flawed , purposely vague and broad book for the purpose of corrupting and influencing minds to fit their own selfish and greedy purposes with an illusion of a greater purpose, rewards after death, I guess if you so happen to have a good life thats a down payment, and cruelty and eternal pain for those that don't follow the path. This deity god is a hidden monster and this all is a cruel joke of total manipulation for people.

Source(s): Atheist

Hey King Chrissy, ever stop to think that the story of Moses parting the Red Sea wasn't written in English first? That Red and Reed might be close in this language but have no correlation in Hebrew? Oy!

Questioner: the only story in the Bible that really troubles me is Job's. I have a tough time believing G-d would simply wipe out his family on a bet; that story pains me especially when everyone rejoices over Job's 'returned wealth and new family" (what about the dead wife and kids?) That's when I'm really glad Jesus fulfilled the prophecy of Moschiach and ushered in a new peaceful age with just two rules: Love G-d with all your heart and love your neighbor as yourself. That's the best.

Oh, Lazar: When Jesus says "All the Churches" he's not discriminating 1st Medthodist from Scientology and whatnot, he's talking about Antioch and others established by the disciples after he commanded tehm to Goa nd tell the Good News...

I disagree. The Bible is not true because there is no God is a VERY appropriate answer. As for the rest, there are just too many contradictions to count, resulting from the countless revisions and re-interpretations of this very weird book. It would take one literally hours to point them all out to you. Why should anybody go to that trouble for a delusional person like you? I would suggest, rather, that when you read your Bible, REALLY READ IT. If you can put your brain back into your skull from where you left it behind, you might re-think the veracity of this body of work. But why do I have my doubts?

Final note: If none of the reasoned and well-researched answers here give you at least pause, and thoughts to ponder, then you are a truly hopelessly sad example of what being in deep

denial means.

Most if not all of the Talmud. Creation has no evidence, and is clearly in the wrong order for the evidence that we have. Evolution has massive amounts of evidence and is well proven and demonstrated.

The Flood simply could not have happened and there is no evidence of it in the geological column or the polar ice caps.

The Exodus, including the time from Joseph to entering the holy land, has no evidence for it. Considering that the Hebrews would have spent 200 to 400 years there, a lack of evidence is highly telling.

No cultures in existence at that time recorded the sun stopping or moving backwards, every single culture should have seen that! Balaam's donkey avoiding the angel indicates that angels are lacking in the power department (a man with a sword or spear could have take Balaam out.) No to mention the record of what Balaam did in the enemy country, they would to have had spies there in order to record these events.

The Star of Bethlehem is strangely missing from history as well. One of the most important events and the few wise men that observed it, neglected to record it and no one else recorded it either. The 6 hour darkness and earthquake also did not make it into history along with the temple curtain.

Then there is the nagging fact that the Gospels were written over 70 years after the death of Jesus (40 years after the destruction of the temple). The Old Testament, from archaeological markers, seems likely to have been started in the 7th to 6th centuries BCE.

Then there are the genocidal and sadistic actions of God. Having Abraham travel to sacrifice his son, is completely sadistic and not a test of faith. Wiping out every man, women, child and infant in order to stop infant sacrifice seems to be throwing the baby out with the bath water.

The problem with believing, say your example of the immaculate conception, is that one must make MANY assumptions. One must also assume that the bible has been kept pure in it's content. EVERYONE is aware that this is not true. The bible has undergone MANY mistranslations, deletions, and additions as well as being transcribed into multiple versions. So much for the true word of god!

One has to assume the angel Gabrielle is real and assume that Mary told the truth about not having sex.

The fact is, a woman has to have sex to get pregnant.

NEXT: Contradictions. I'll just post them without going into them...http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/jim_meritt/...

Gen 6:15 describes the size of Noah's ark. HARDLY large enough to carry SEVEN pairs of every clean animal, ONE pair of every unclean animal, Noah and his family, AND enough food and fresh water for forty days.

I could go on and on but I have a life.

I think that the Bible is a valuable tool to better understand the history and culture of the Middle East for a period of about 3-5,000 years. I believe that by combining a healthy knowledge of the Bible with other knowledge gained from scientific research -be it archaeological digs, historical manuscripts not included in the Bible, and other sources, you can get a very good idea of how people lived, why they did what they did, how political changes influenced people's behavior, etc.

Is the Bible a spot-on recantation of events as they took place? No educated person would say so.

As humans we need to learn - it is the reason why we are so successful and prolific. Don't stunt yourself by stopping this process. Use the Bible for what it is - an incredible glimpse into times long past, and build on it.

I had a religion class in College, but I've started re-reading the bible starting w/the Old testament. So I'll start there!

Does God allow lying?

In Genesis 12

11 As he was about to enter Egypt, he said to his wife Sarai, "I know what a beautiful woman you are. 12 When the Egyptians see you, they will say, 'This is his wife.' Then they will kill me but will let you live. 13 Say you are my sister, so that I will be treated well for your sake and my life will be spared because of you."

14 When Abram came to Egypt, the Egyptians saw that she was a very beautiful woman. 15 And when Pharaoh's officials saw her, they praised her to Pharaoh, and she was taken into his palace. 16 He treated Abram well for her sake, and Abram acquired sheep and cattle, male and female donkeys, menservants and maidservants, and camels.

17 But the LORD inflicted serious diseases on Pharaoh and his household because of Abram's wife Sarai. 18 So Pharaoh summoned Abram. "What have you done to me?" he said. "Why didn't you tell me she was your wife? 19 Why did you say, 'She is my sister,' so that I took her to be my wife? Now then, here is your wife. Take her and go!" 20 Then Pharaoh gave orders about Abram to his men, and they sent him on his way, with his wife and everything he had.

Why would God allow Abram (Abraham) to lie, hoe out his wife and then "God" punishes Pharaoh for it. Abram does this one other time, but "God" appears to the King or whatever he was before he actually does anything to Sarai.

How is this fair? This isn't even the tip of the tip of the iceberg.

How about Abraham's first son Issac, can you tell me how that is fair, and if you've read and studied the bible you'll know Isaac is Abraham's son from Sarah's maidservant.

• ?

Pretty much all of it.

The Universe is a creation without a creator.

Most of the history up to Egypt is pure myth, Moses and the real reasons the "Habaru" left Egypt. History of Palestine doesn't match bible history other than place names. (Like saying Spiderman is real because it all happened in New York City which is a real city, therefore Spiderman is real.)

The New Testament is pretty much fiction, written many years after the so called events, rewritten, edited, modified, and distorted to fit the dogma of Roman style Catholic Religion.