Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicTelevisionOther - Television · 1 decade ago

What do you think of the writer's guild strike ?

Best Answer

Well, on the one hand, I agree with the person above, that they receive fair compensation, the same as anybody else. On the other hand, television has easily been the most destructive force to emerge in society since the sugar trade several centuries ago. Most of what the writers' guild members produce is intellectually toxic stupidity that helps keep the population constantly distracted by idiotic trivia and forever stuck in a vapid state of mind. I very much want to see the strike end with the networks financially ruined.

• Amy B

The writers deserve fair compensation for their products.

And no, Guilds/Unions are not outdated. The job of companies is to make money. Corporations as a whole do not care about workplace safety and improving the quality of life for their employees.

Not all companies are out to screw their workforce, but for corporations to survive, they have to fight for every penny so they can turn a profit. And there are enough unscrupulous employers out there that there have to be organizations for employees to push back at the corporations.

No, unions aren't perfect. But the workplaces that many of us take for granted (healthy, safe, with fair wages and benefits) are because many workers sacrificed themselves in the past to force change. And forget the government watching out for its citizens. They will never be able to do that efficiently.

I think that they deserve a feair wage for what they do but I also think that a union or guild is something that has outlived its usefulness. how many other people are out of work due to them? Think about all the other people that work on a TV set....not just the actors but all the camera men, sound people, lighting, catering..e.tc........all of those people are out of work because of the writers. I think it is time for someone to step in like Ronald Reagan did with the air traffic controlelrs and fire them. Non job performance is an easy out and there are plenty of people that would be yearning for the chance to write.

I don't blame them. 4 cents per DVD is pretty bad. They deserve more than that. I don't know how much that comes to, but I imagine it's a LOT less than the executives make. I wish it would end soon because I want to see more Heroes episodes!

They're the unsung heros of the entertainment industry... but now their strike is responsible for the proliferation of reality TV.

there rigth...they do deserve more money but the fact that they havent got it yet just shows us how greedy hollywood is.............without the writers there wouldnt be a hollywood or any of its stars or anyghing!

I think they deserve fair compensation for what they do, just like anyone else.

THEY DESERVE A FAIR WAGE ... AND I DO NOT BLAME THEM ONE SINGLE BIT. I AM SURPRISED THEY WAITED THIS LONG TO VOICE THIER OPINIONS AND STRIKE