Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Ray asked in Games & RecreationCard Games · 1 decade ago

Magic: The Gathering, Lands, Mana and Tapping?

After I tap a land and use the mana, what happens to the land? What would happen if I don't tap it.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • mike p
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The land becomes tapped until the end of the round, and then untaps at the beginning of the next. If you don't use it, nothing happens, and some decks use the strategy of not using mana on your turns, but instead saving it to use instants on your opponents turns(such as control). If someone taps your mana for you, via a card, in most cases you can put the mana into your pool, or just let the card get tapped. If its tapped that way, you dont take any burn, but you can't use the land until the next turn, when it untaps. Wizards of the Coast has extensive beginner demos.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Shawn is completly correct. When tapping land for mana, a spell has to be cast. If no spell is cast you take what is called Mana Burn. For instance, if i play Dawn Charm (1 colorless and 1 white) and say I tap 3 plains, 2 of those plains are used for Dawn Charm. If i dont use the third plains for anything I take 1 point of Mana Burn for every 1 mana cast above the spell cost.

When it comes your turn you Untap all lands (unless an ability or spell prevents that) and go through out your turn. You actually have to untap all of your land at your untap step.

Source(s): MTG player since 98
  • 1 decade ago

After you tap the land, A mana of that color goes into your mana pool. You can use mana there for spells (cards). All mana in your mana pool at the end of turn depletes your life total, "mana burn". You don't have to tap any of your lands if you don't want to.

They don't go away if you don't, they just stay there if you want to use them at your opponents's turn, or not.

• 1 decade ago

Technically, Nothing. If the mana has already been spent, the land remains tapped and just is referred to as a tapped land. If you choose not to tap the land, thats fine. The land remains untapped untill you decide you want it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

after you tap it.it remains tapped until your next upkeep step.you also dont have to tap a land.also you cant tap a land unless its to play a card example tarfire takes one red mana to play use tap the one red mana and play tarfire.there can be turns where you do nothing at all but draw.depends on your stratagey.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.