dry lips during pregnancy?

I have very dry lips since getting pregnant! I am now 6 weeks and they are always dry and the skin is like peeling. When I put on lipstick it looks terrible cause its chunky! What causes this? Is this common in early pregnancy?

I haven't had any nausea or morning sickness...YET! *knock on wood*

Favorite Answer

I'm not sure how to preven this but I did have this same problem, and got a great solution on how to rid of it. So what you do is wet your lips with vasaline or water, take an old tooth brush, and scrub your lips ( as if you were brushing them like you brush your teeth) then wipe the dead skin off with a damp wash cloth. Let them air dry, or until they are just barely dry, and then use vasaline on them. This worked great for me. It's probably the time of year that is making our lips so scaly and dry. Hope this works for you.

You could also skip the toothbrush part and just use a damp wash cloth and scrub your lips with it until all the dead skin is gone.

• falls

Chapped Lips During Pregnancy

RE:

dry lips during pregnancy?

Drink more water! Your body needs lots of extra water during pregnancy. I drink 3+ quarts of water a day. If I don't my lips get really dry like that too and so does my skin.

I have had this same problem. I found out I wasn't drinking enough of the right fluids, water. I also came to love this lip balm that is awesome!! It's called Burt's Bees and it comes in a little yellow tube. You can find it at CVS, Walgreens, etc... it's about 2.50. It makes your lips tingly and works great!! I can't use anything else!! It doesn't dry out my lips even when it's dried. Hope I helped and if nothing else just get a tube and see if it works!!

Source(s): me

I am 32 wks. I this is a horrible problem for me. I drink a ton of water and I have a humidifier. I also am on bedrest so I am in the humidified air all the time. Nothing seems to help my lips. I think it has been even worse in the past month or so. I don't know if it is a symptom of pregnancy any talks about but from the responses it seems to be common.

Source(s): 32 weeks

Try drinking more water in the day. It's amazing how your skin quality can change after a few days of enough water! A beauty trick: a soft dry tooth brush gently brushing the lips exfoliates (right after a shower when lips are softer).

Dehydration from getting sick during pregnancy can cause really dry skin lips especially.

Its very common. Your skin tends to dry out during pregnancy. Along with many other crazy things that will happen. Might I suggest a few helpful websites... http://www.babycenter.com and http://www.webmd.com

Sign up for the pregnancy calendars. They are very informative and the help you to understand what is going on with your body during your pregnancy.

That is a great question, I am 10 weeks and having the same problem. I never thought it could be a side effect of pregnancy. This should be interesting to see some of the answers..

Source(s): 10 weeks pregnant w/ #3. Never had this with the other two.