What's the deal with the Confederate flag?

First, why would people in the south insist on flying the flag of failed quasi-state that lost its only war. I understand having pride over your heritage, but surely the south has more things to be proud of than a failed attempt to succeed from the union.

Second, who cares if southerners still want to wave the Confederate flag? Will we next protest the Dukes of Hazard? Any educated person knows that the Civil War was not about slavery per se, it was about economics. The northerners didn't care about slaves any more than their southern cousins. They were both racist bastards. Slavery at the time was political, not personal as can easily be seen by simply looking at the next 100 years of American history.

My state wasn't even in the union until after the civil war was over and I can honestly say I don't give a sh!t if someone flies the flag or not. Today the Confederate flag represents white trash more than it does slavery. If people want to advertise that, who cares

sorry, I meant "secede from the union"

Favorite Answer

First, to Joe above. I predict your age to be about 13 or 14 from your answer. Joe, let me introduce myself, I am a combat veteran of the United States Military. My father is a combat veteran of the United States Military and two of my Great Grand Uncles where killed in service to this country in World War 2. All of the above are direct decendants of two grandfathers who fought in the 38th Virginia Infantry for the CSA. The Confederate Battle flag of the 38th is very similar in looks to the Confederate Naval Flag that is commonly used today. Now, neither one of my Grandfathers 4 times removed owned slaves. We know through our family history that they fought to protect their farms and families from a Northern invasion. They would not have fought to protect an institution from which they did not benefit. This young sir is fact not fiction and is historically documented in letters from that time. The war was about politics as wars are usually about. If the war was about slavery, Lincoln would have issued the proclamation at the start of hostilities and not waited until 1863 to do so. Why do we fly the flag? We are proud of the sacrifices that these men made in behalf of their families. Why does the state of SC have the flag on its capitol grounds? The state is proud that its citizens answered the call to defend the state from its then enemies. Many thousands of South Carolinians died in service to the State of SC. It is fitting that South Carolina still pays respect to what it asked of its citizens. Now, I can guarantee you that many decendants of those soldiers also died for the USA in WW 1, WW 2, Korea, Vietnam, and Iraq. Are those men white trash? Now as far as IQ goes I would venture that my IQ is higher than yours as I research the issues before I speak. I also have a degree from Virginia Tech and have had a successful career to date. What have you done? I am proud of all the veterans in my family and will continue to honor them as long as I live. I hope they would be as proud of what I have accomplished on the back of their sacrifice. You should do the same for yours. The Confederate flag is an honorable reminder of those past soldiers who helped to shape what our nation is today even in their defeat. Please ignore the hate groups who use it and dishonor it in ignorance. They do not get it just like you. So really you and the hate groups are one and the same as far as I am concerned. Get educated son. If you want to pick fights with racist trash then go find the websites for the KKK, the Nation of Islam, Nazis, or Black Panthers. That should keep you busy and they are very willing to fight with you.

• Rob B

People care when the confederate flag is flying over a state building (as it was until recently in South Carolina and Georgia) because the state is representative of all the people, not merely a portion and a great many people regard that flag as a symbol of hatred and ignorance. Add to that the fact that almost all the southern states didn't start flying the confederate flag over their state houses until the mid-1960's during the fight over civil rights and it becomes clear that the claim that the flag was raised to honor southern heritage is a lie. It was raised to symbolize opposition the racial equality.

Also, it's not accurate to say that "southerners" want to fly the flag. Over one third of southerners are black people who feel nothing but contempt for it and a significant percentage of white southerners think it's time to put it away as well. A vocal minority want to fly it still.

If some bozo wants to fly the confederate flag on his private property or on his truck or whatever, then I agree that it's his business. Personally, I think it's an advertisement that he's just trash, but as long as he and his buddies don't show up at my house in the middle of the night, I couldn't care less.

I guess my problem with the Confederate flag is that it is the flag of TRAITORS to the United States of America. The people in the states who attempted to secede were enemies of the country.

For people to glorify the symbol of such traitors makes THEM traitorous, as well. Do you see Germans flying the Nazi flag? NO, YOU DON'T.

Do WE fly the Union Jack? NO WE DON'T. Because we're the UNITED States of America.

If you don't LIKE the United States of America, I suggest you take yourself, your traitorous Confederate flag, and your racist prejudices, and LEAVE.

Not only will it make the country a nicer place, the stink of enemy traitors will dissipate, and our country's average IQ will go up, considerably.

I am a Yankee & I do have a problem with the Confederate flag. Obviously those Southerner's don't realize the Civil War is over & the winner was declared. Good luck.

I don't understand why someone would want to fly something that once stood for such arrogance and stupidity. We can fly that thing over state buildings, but we can't display The Ten Commandments? HUH??

The answers here are going to be fun to read. But I agree, if I am offended by it, I don't have to look at it and really, it holds no significance for me.

Did it not stand for slavery?

It's a symbol of courage. You got any?