What's the deal with the Confederate flag?

First, why would people in the south insist on flying the flag of failed quasi-state that lost its only war. I understand having pride over your heritage, but surely the south has more things to be proud of than a failed attempt to succeed from the union. Second, who cares if southerners still want to wave the... show more First, why would people in the south insist on flying the flag of failed quasi-state that lost its only war. I understand having pride over your heritage, but surely the south has more things to be proud of than a failed attempt to succeed from the union.

Second, who cares if southerners still want to wave the Confederate flag? Will we next protest the Dukes of Hazard? Any educated person knows that the Civil War was not about slavery per se, it was about economics. The northerners didn't care about slaves any more than their southern cousins. They were both racist bastards. Slavery at the time was political, not personal as can easily be seen by simply looking at the next 100 years of American history.

My state wasn't even in the union until after the civil war was over and I can honestly say I don't give a sh!t if someone flies the flag or not. Today the Confederate flag represents white trash more than it does slavery. If people want to advertise that, who cares
Update: sorry, I meant "secede from the union"