Does or Would anybody rent their newborn baby clothes?

I have heard that there are services that you can rent newborn baby clothes, and due to them growing so quickly that this is a viable option.

If you don't rent now would you be attracted to this type of service? What would be the pro's and con's?

Doing some reasearch, and your answers and thoughts are appreciated!

Favorite Answer

I find that unappealing on several levels, but I'll answer it from a business perspective.

Lessee- will never get their 'deposit' back because it would be rare to return all clothing in the same condition it was rented.

Leassor- will have constant outflow of cash with minimal inflow because of the above- clothing can never to rarely be returned in new condition! Even consignment shops only take a fraction of what people bring them for consideration.

Some people still need the extra help. I'm fortunate not to but everyone isn't. I'd rather them ask for help and the baby be taken care of then the child to not have. I don't know what era you came from but everyone doesn't have a husband to help them and everyone doesn't have a sister who's married to a doctor. You just laid out how hard you worked and then followed it up with all the "handouts" you took from your family. If you were so hard working and so independent why didn't you donate those things to people that needed them. Assuming that people need help means there lazy is pretty unintelligent. My mother in law has a bachelors degree in finance and worked for the government for 10 years. She's been looking for a job for a year but I guess someone like you would say she's lazy. Ugh...next question. Before you get back on your high horse I am a married, pregnant 27 year old that has never asked for any type of government assistance and have worked everyday of my life since I was 16 so don't even try to assume I'm some lazy person with my hand out.

Fancy dress clothes, maybe since finding a suit for a newborn is hard and they don't get the use out of them to justify buying one. Regular clothes? You have got to be kidding. You couldn't rent them out cheaper than I can get them, most of my boys clothes are either hand me downs or second hand from the thrift store. He's ruined about half of them with spit up, diaper blow outs and the like. So why would I pay to rent something I will probably wind up having to buy because he ruined it, and pay more for clothes I have to return than clothes I buy and own and then have nothing left to pass onto the next friend having a baby? Half the fun of clothing my son is seeing what his cousins and older friends children are wearing and taking bets to see if they will hold up long enough to be passed onto my son! (I'm serious, my SIL and I joke about that all the time as her boy is 5 months older than mine but he is very rough on his clothes as he is crawling, starting to walk and has an older brother).

Yes babies grow out of clothes too fast and that is why I either buy second hand or I am thankful to have some giving friends.

A service like that is pretty silly. And I have never heard of it before. I have had to throw away many spit up stained tops and poop stained bottoms.

I will stick to cheap second hand and any good clothes that I will have left, after all baby making is said and done, back to the second hand stores for someone else to use.

It seems kind of silly. I've never actually heard of these services being provided before. All my daughters newborn clothes are pretty much ruined from all the spitting up she did. I think it would be completely pointless to rent. Wouldn't you have to pay for the ruined clothes? I don't really think there are many pro's about it.

If you have a need for formal clothing for an event, it makes sense. No different from renting a wedding dress or a tux. Other than that, it is pointless, IMHO.

I know one gal who rented Renaissance infant clothing that she originally made for her kids for those attending SCA events or the MN Renaissance Fair. Don't know if she still does, but considering each outfit cost at least $100 (she made them) and only fits a short time, there was definitely a need.

people rent newborn diapers from cloth diapering services so clothing wouldn't be too much of a jump. especially if there were a trade up incentive

its close to what mom to mom does here in detroit area

you exchange clothing you have with a mom that has what you need

No, I would not rent clothes. I got some nice hand-me-downs, though. And someday I may hand them down to someone else. The basic clothes that you need for them aren't really that expensive, anyway.

No I can't picture myself renting clothes...but it sounds like an idea a lot of people might go for.

No I wouldn't.... newborn clothes are very inexpensive, why would anybody need to rent them?

Source(s): mother of a fast growing 2 month old......