Songs that were ruined by commercials?

Is there a song that you've always enjoyed listening to until it appeared on a commercial, and from there was played repeatedly on every channel during every break?

I've always like The Cars song "Just What I Needed", and I mean yea, I do still like the song but whenever I hear it, I think of the Circuit City commercial (which drives me nuts) and because of that, I just don't get the same feeling when I hear the song come on the radio, or run through my iPod.

Any other cases of great songs turned into played out commerical advertisements?

Rckets: I remember that cruise line commercial and that is just yet another song that was ruined for me. I do find the humor with the liquer and drug reference within the song. I'd blame that on either a real bad advertising executive...or a real good one :)

*liquor...type-o

Mustang: I actually enjoyed hearing the Dream on song at first when the commercial was new, but my enjoyment quickly withered to annoyance. This great song should of been spared.

Sour Girl - O yeaaaa! The KFC commerical. I don't know how it was humanly possible of me to of forgotten about about that. I'm not a huge television buff, but it seemed as though whenever I was in ear range of the TV I would hear that commercial. I can just picture a bucket of popcorn chicken bouncing off the table now. (as seen in the commerical) Ahhh, where will it end?!? LOL

Sarah: I seen the ELO, "Do Ya" commercial last night for the 5454985345435th time!

MarMar: I almost rolled on the floor laughing the night I seen the "Viva Viaga" commercial. It was just so stupid and random, it caught me off guard. The birth contol commerical is also pretty random though too. Kind of reminds of of the rediculous add for Always. "Have a happy period, Always." What kind of ignorant MORON came up with the idea that us women ENJOY having our periods?!?! They make it look like a treat! I never understood that. It does give me a good laugh though... HAHA!

Hi Silver! I remember the Queen one. I used to sing along when that came on until about the millionith time.

Cat Stevens: Ahhh!!! I get so aggrivated by that stupid diamond commerical! I HATE the way they butchered it by having that lady sing sing it. Seriously, if I happen to actually be watching tv and that commercial comes on, either I will get up and walk out of the room, or I'll change the channel. LOL

Paul: Wow that's pretty strange compared to how things are where I am. So when you like a song off a commerical, do they make commercial soundtracks? haha

Favorite Answer

"We're Not Gonna Take It" just got picked up by a birth control pill ad, and it's driving me nuts. The worst? "Viva Las Vegas" being turned into "Viva Viagra." That whirring sound you hear is Elvis doing about 1000 rpm in his grave....

It depends on how much I actually like the song if I'll let it ruin it for me. "Rock And Roll" by Led Zeppelin for example was murdered by car commercials, then as it turned out it's far from my favorite song anyways so I just let it die. But "Lust For Life" I like a lot, so I forced my mind to see it as a song and not a commercial (helped along by some awesome live performances on Youtube) and now instead of hearing it and thinking of the cruise and being disappointed, I see the commercial and think of Iggy Pop and am happy. They've also used the songs "Sucess" and "The Passenger" from the same album on commercials lately, they need to lay off a bit.

Another example is "Blitzkrieg Bop" which I heard in commercials many many times before I knew who did it and just through listening to it so much and associating it with other experiences and happy times I forgot the first time I heard it was a commercial.

Here in the UK it's sometimes the other way round. A song would be featured in an advert and then later released as a single. In the 90's, Levi's always used a song in their ads which, in most cases, would get to No.1 in the UK Top 40. Not only would the song be played to death on a TV ad, the radio played it to death as well.

At the time they ruined "Should I Stay Or Should I Go" by The Clash and "The Joker" by The Steve Miller Band, but at least the ads were entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqCkLHwUkV8

Youtube thumbnail

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcQO14k0LVw

Youtube thumbnail

I added this one cos it's still funny after all these years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPhsyRbHqMU

Youtube thumbnail

We don't have them on such heavy rotation over here.

The only ones I can think of are these. The first one was used a couple of years ago, and the others are from much older ads :~

You Can't Always Get What You Want ~ The Rolling Stones

{Apple Mac computer}

Gimme Shelter ~ The Rolling Stones

{RAC}

Driven By You ~ Queen

{Ford transit vans}

Cuz I Luv You ~ Slade

{Ford transit vans}

The Long Road ~ Mark Knopfler

{some car advert. But I'm sure it had lyrics added}

But, it hasn't ruined any of them for me. In fact, if I hadn't remembered the Mark Knopfler one, I wouldn't have bought the song!

I don't have this same experience probably because I don't watch much television - if I average 2 hours per week that is a lot. So I don't get the exposure to commercials most people who watch more television get. When I do watch television it is channels less likely to have commercials - like PBS. Personally, for myself, I haven't been turned off to any song that has been used in a commercial.

Plenty of classic rock ones:

ELO's Do Ya (by the Monsters commercaial)

Spinal Tap's Gimme Some Money (some bank for small buinesses commercial)

Feist's My Moon My Man (some phone commercial)

The Who's I'm Free, Bargain and Magic Bus (all ruined by car commercials)

Oh my, yes.

The The - This is the Day - M&Ms

The Jam - Start! - Cadillac

And the instrumental of Blister in the Sun (Violent Femmes) that Wendy's was using as background music completely cracks me up. Guess the lyrics were not exactly TV friendly! Oh well, the band members are suing each other over that one anyway.

For some reason, I heard a Pillows song called "Sad Sad Kiddy Kiddy" on a local commercial for some sort of auto repair shop. I guess they didn't know the source, since it is in West Virginia and all. It just makes me mad of how stupid they could be for doing that. I never listen to it anymore.

In the Moto commercial they ruined Le Disko by Shiny Toy Guns

Remember that song, "Da Da Da" by Trio? While it wasn't a great song, I used to like that because it was so German, but then Volkswagen played it on all their commercials.

Yes, I know that Volkswagen is German too, but it got ruined since the commercial was on every break.

Also, Stevie Ray Vaughan's "Pride and Joy" is on a new commercial. Can't remember what for, but I know it is going to kill that song for me.

EDIT: Oh wow...I remember hearing the "Viva Viagra." That was so wrong to ruin "Viva Las Vegas" like that.