Is there any difference between yellow ethernet cables and navy blue ethernet cables?

I'm asking because I just bought a new wireless router that has a better range than my previous one. They're both made by the same company, do the same job, but the only difference between them is that the new one is more powerful. I already have the cables set up from the prevous router and the new router uses the same cables, except the ethernet cable that came with the new router is navy blue, whereas the previous router used a yellow ethernet cable. I was just wondering whether or not there was a difference between the two, or whether I can just use the yellow ethernet cable that's already plugged into my pc?

• Taba
    Favorite Answer

The color of the ethernet cable means nothing at all.

There are different types of ethernet cables. Crossover, straight through, cat 5, cat 6 and so on, but again the color means nothing...

Red Ethernet Cable

Cable color is cosmetic. On each cable there is a confusing hodgepodge of words and numbers, but what you are looking for is CAT or CATEGORY 5 or 5E or 6. When you see that it means the cable is the kind that is designed for Ethernet traffic (and other stuff). One word of warning: There is a special version of an Ethernet cable known as a CROSSTALK cable. It SHOULD be labeled as such, but sometimes it isn't. You'll not hurt anything if it is and you use it, it just won't work. BTW it's used to hookup two computers to each other directly.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

I'm asking because I just bought a new wireless router that has a better range than my previous one. They're both made by the same company, do the same job, but the only difference between them is that the new one is more powerful. I already have the cables set up from the prevous router...

Source(s): difference yellow ethernet cables navy blue ethernet cables: https://shortly.im/ddDTw

Black Ethernet Cable

• Jon

What David D said is correct, there are different types of networking cables, but yellow and blue does not determine what type of cable it is. The three popular cables right now are cat 5(rated up to 100mbs) cat 5e (rated up to 1000mbs) and cat 6 (also rated at 1000mbs). For connecting the modem to the router it does not matter if the cable is cat5, cat5e or cat6 as your internet connection is far less than 100mbs.

Are they different lengths?

I have yellow, blue, red and black ethernet cables for work and they are all the same other than colour.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axrPQ

There's usually no difference, people just make the insulation in different colours. Sometimes there will be significance, like yellow for crossover and pale blue for rollover (Cisco style), I've also seen blue used for straight-through. Use either. Even if it doesn't work, it won't damage anything.

Color has no relevance. However, one could be Cat 5 the other Cat 5e or even Cat 6

Use any cable that suits you best.

wdw

Hi,they should both be the same-just a different colour obviously.