Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 1 decade ago

the first man to step on the moon was. A.john glenn. B.neil armstrong. C.gordon cooper. D.michael collins.?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Neil Armstrong. It's his voice we here in that famous "That's one small step for Man, one giant leap for mankind"

• Astrid
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Yes, it is neil, but here's a cute little story that may or may not be true.

When Apollo mission astronaut Neil Armstrong first walked on the moon, he not only gave his famous "one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind" statement, but followed it by several remarks--[mostly the] usual COM traffic between him, the other astronauts, and mission control. Before he re- entered the lander, he made the enigmatic remark, "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky."

Many people at NASA thought it was a casual remark concerning some rival Soviet cosmonaut. However, upon checking, there was no Gorsky in either the Russian or American space programs.

Over the years, many people have question [Armstrong] as to what the "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky" statement meant. On July 5, in Tampa Bay, Florida, while answering questions following a speech, a reporter brought up the 26-year-old question to Armstrong. He finally responded. It seems that Mr. Gorsky had died and so Armstrong felt he could answer the question.

When he was a kid, Neil was playing baseball with his brother in the back yard. His brother hit a fly ball which landed in front of his neighbors' bedroom window. The neighbors were Mr. and Mrs. Gorsky. As he leaned down to pick up the ball, he heard Mrs. Gorsky shouting at Mr. Gorsky, "Oral sex? Oral sex you want? You'll get oral sex when the kid next door walks on the moon!"

No one has determined the truthfulness of this myth, but it's pretty popular and nontheless fun to share.

• 1 decade ago

So sad the people even have to ask that. Like asking who was the first president of the United States.

Neil Armstrong was the first man to set foot on the Moon.

By the way, Neil never said "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky". Here is a quote from the source.

During November 1995, a clever (and slightly risqué) story was widely circulated on the Internet concerning a statement Neil is supposed to have made during the Apollo 11 EVA. At the suggestion of several readers, let me state that Neil never said "Good luck, Mr. Gorsky" at any time during the mission. Indeed, on November 28, 1995, Neil wrote, " I understand that the joke is a year old. I first heard it in California delivered by (comedian) Buddy Hackett".

• 1 decade ago

A. never went to the Moon. However, first American to orbit Earth (third American in space). He was also the oldest person in space in 1988.

B. First man on Moon "One small step for Man." (a pause, interpreted by some as Neil muttering to himself as he was supposed to say one small step for a man. "One giant leap for mankind." However, it is also likely that he did say it properly, and the vowel got lost in the noise.

C. Mercury Program (Mercury-Atlas-9, May 1963). During his flight, the computer crashed and he had to manually control the craft for reentry -- "making the most accurate splashdown to date."(1)

D. Gemini 10 (1966) and Apollo 11 (with Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin), Michael is the often forgotten member of this famous team, because he stayed in the Command module, orbiting the Moon while the other two went digging for rocks.

D.

Source(s): (1) Wagener, Leon: "One Giant Leap". Forge Books 2004 ISBN 978-0312873431
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Neil Armstrong.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

B. Neil Armstrong

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

B. Neil Armstrong.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

B.Neil Armstrong

• E. Stewie Griffin!

Yeah, I Watched It Live Too And It Was Neil Armstrong....

• 1 decade ago

I watched the moon landing live, and I have listened to tapes since. The Gorsky thing never happened. It is just a joke....but a funny one!

Reminds me of the joke about Ben Franklin trying to control that kite during the thunderstorm. Apparently the kite was flying around erratically, and so his wife called out from the window that the tail wasn't long enough.

Franklin couldn't hear her over the wind and thunder and shouted "what did you say?". She shouted back a response about him needing more tail.

He yelled back, "Make up your mind, woman! Last night you told me to go fly a kite!"

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.