Courtroom artists?

I was wondering if anyone one knows roughly how much a courtroom artist makes per illustration and how to get started in the this business?

Favorite Answer

I was a courtroom artist for many years. It depends on the contract you make with the television station or network. I worked with a reporter. They would tell me what parts of the trial to sketch, along with general shots of a blank-faced jury, the judge reading a verdict, etc. I was paid per drawing, regardless of the number of shots that made it to air. The network paid for all my supplies, transportation, and expenses on the road.

Depending on which state you live in, it might be tougher than it was several years ago. More and more courtrooms are allowing cameras into the trials. The exceptions are Federal Courts.

Good luck with your goal. Learn to be quick, accurate, and learn to draw for the camera. Compose your drawing for a variety of shot sheets, use vivid colors and understand which look good on air, and which ones fade out.

Source(s): Experience

I think courtroom artists are full time employees of newspapers or tv stations. It is just one of their duties. I really doubt you could make a living just being a full time Courtroom Artist.

.