Big Rick asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Do you agree with Jay Leno?

Very interesting perspective by Jay Leno...

I hope you will all read to the end. Jay Leno puts it into perspective and makes us think about the pathetic negativity. That's right, Jay Leno!!

Jay Leno wrote this; it's the Jay Leno we don't often see....

"The other day I was reading Newsweek magazine and came across some poll data I found rather hard to believe. It must be true, given the source, right?

"The Newsweek poll alleges that 67 percent of Americans are unhappy with the direction the country is headed, and 69 percent of the country is unhappy with the performance of the President. In essence, 2/3's of the citizenry just ain't happy and want a change.

"So being the knuckle dragger I am, I started thinking, 'What are we so unhappy about?'

"Is it that we have electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 days a week?

"Is our unhappiness the result of having air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter?

"Could it be that 95.4 percent of these unhappy folks have a job?

"Maybe it is the ability to walk into a grocery store at any time, and see more food in moments than Darfur has seen in the last year?

"Maybe it is the ability to drive from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean without having to present identification papers as we move through each state?

"Or possibly the hundreds of clean and safe motels we would find along the way that can provide temporary shelter?

"I guess having thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world is just not good enough.

"Or could it be that when we wreck our car, emergency workers show up and provide services to help all, and even send a helicopter to take you to the hospital.

"Perhaps you are one of the 70 percent of Americans who own a home. You may be upset with knowing that in the unfortunate case of a fire, a group of trained firefighters will appear in moments and use top notch equipment to extinguish the flames thus saving you, your family and your belongings.

"Or if, while at home watching one of your many flat screen TVs, a burglar or prowler intrudes, an officer equipped with a gun and a bullet-proof vest will come to defend you and your family against attack or loss.

"This all in the backdrop of a neighborhood free of bombs or militias raping and pillaging the residents. Neighborhoods where 90 percent of teenagers own cell phones and computers.

"How about the complete religious, social and political freedoms we enjoy that are the envy of everyone in the world?

"Maybe that is what has 67 percent of you folks unhappy.

"Fact is, we are the largest group of ungrateful, spoiled brats the world has ever seen. No wonder the world loves the U.S. , yet has a great disdain for its citizens. They see us for what we are. The most blessed people in the world who do nothing but complain about what we don't have, and what we hate about the country instead of thanking the good Lord we live here.

"I know, I know. What about the President who took us into war and has no plan to get us out? The President who has a measly 31 percent approval rating? Is this the same President who guided the nation in the dark days after 9/11? The President that cut taxes to bring an economy out of recession? Could this be the same guy who has been called every name in the book for succeeding in keeping all the spoiled ungrateful brats safe from terrorist attacks?

"The Commander-In Chief of an all-volunteer army that is out there defending you and me? Did you hear how bad the President is on the news or talk show? Did this news affect you so much, make you so unhappy you couldn't take a look around for yourself and see all the good things and be glad?

"Think about it...are you upset at the President because he actually caused you personal pain OR is it because the "Media" told you he was failing to kiss your sorry ungrateful behind every day

"Make no mistake about it. The troops in Iraq and Afghanistan have volunteered to serve, and in many cases may have died for your freedom. There is currently no draft in this country. They didn't have to go.

"They are able to refuse to go and end up with either a ''general'' discharge, an ''other than honorable'' discharge or, worst case scenario, a ''dishonorable'' discharge after a few days in the brig.

"So why then the flat-out discontentment in the minds of 69 percent of Americans? Say what you want, but I blame it on the media. If it bleeds, it leads; and they specialize in bad news. Everybody will watch a car crash with blood and guts. How many will watch kids selling lemonade at the corner? The media knows this and media outlets are for-profit corporations. They offer what sells, and when criticized, try to defend their actions by "justifying" them in one way or another. Just ask why they tried to allow a murderer like O.J. Simpson to write a book about "how he didn't kill his wife, but if he did he would have done it this way"...Insane!

"Stop buying the negativism you are fed everyday by the media. Shut off the TV, burn Newsweek, and use the New York Times for the bottom of your bird cage. Then start being grateful for all we have as a country. There is exponentially more good than bad.

"We are among the most blessed people on Earth, and should thank God several times a day, or at least be thankful and appreciative.

"With hurricanes, tornados, fires out of control, mud slides, flooding, severe thunderstorms tearing up the country from one end to another, and with the threat of bird flu and terrorist attacks, "Are we sure this is a good time to take God out of the Pledge of Allegiance?"

Jay Leno

2007

Best Answer

he is so right. I think things in this country are rocky- but they will turn around. we always bounce back.

This is the greatest nation on earth and you can look to our south and find Mexico which has hardly any of the great things mentioned like running water or even a transportation system .

Ah but look to the north and across the ocean and you find people who have all the things you mentioned and more .

Some are more free and some less some have three times the amount of vacation time and some about the same .

The one thing they all have is something we do not and thats a constitution which grants us the right to be free . We lost that freedom in a little thing called the Patriot act . People in this country have lost the right to a trial .

You may think this nothing , however I see a trend towards Fascism and Bush and the republicans leading the way and blazing the trail for ever more government controls over the people and more power in the hands of one man then in those of the people .

I agree , no one in this country has the right to complain that we are not a nation of haves and have a lots compared to the rest of the world .

Yet we are losing the most important thing and that is our freedoms .

Wake up and forget what you have been told and actually read some of the laws that have been passed .

Look at how this government recently decided to destroy the evidence of torture . Yet they do not call it torture . McCain calls it torture and thats good enough for me .

SO before you begin chastising Americans for being just slightly unhappy you might want to take a serious look at whats been going on now for 40 years .

How corporations and men like Romney have profited and lined their pockets with the blood and sweat of the American workers and service people who should defend us from invaders and are not just another tool for the military industrial complex to exploit .

Trillions of dollars have been spent on defense and more weapons of mass destruction have been sold by this country around the world then I care to admit as a citizen .

Its been criminal what has gone on in our name and it needs to end .

So wake up do some investigation and you can start with Nixon and Kissinger caused the destruction of a once peaceful nation known as Cambodia .

How we armed Saddam and Bin laden and that the majority of HiJackers came from Saudi Arabia .

What a long-winded load of hatchling feces.

It is specifically a result of the fact that I appreciate what I have and why I have it that makes me so utterly disgusted with the International Corporate Fascists who have seized control of this country like a fatal case of dysentery.

Bush and his masters have systematically dismantled the foundation on which all that Jay Leno touts as being so great is built on.

The Constitution of the United States of America has been suspended indefinitely, but Leno hatchling tells us we should get on our knees and thank his version of an omnipotent being that we have electricity. America's economic, political and military resources have been squandered and Leno hatchling tells us we should be on our knees thanking his version of an omnipotent being that we have flat screen TVs.

Leno hatchling tells us we are ungrateful, spoiled children for not praising the same Unitary Executive Serial Monarch that was warned repeatedly we were about to be attacked prior to 9/11 and did nothing, for keeping us safe since the same.

Leno tries to convince us that the media is to blame for our disgust, and if we close our eyes and plug our ears everything will be fine.

Leno is the fing media.

We the People want the Constitution restored. We the People want this great country to be great for our children.

Leno hatchling tells us that We the People should thank daddy Bush his version of an omnipotent being for all the things that We the People have.

To Leno and all other hatchling; We the People are what is great about this country. We the People built this country. We the People keep each other safe. We the People build the roads. We the People demand our freedom.

Leno is a Fascist hatchling sharing the void that is the shared hatchling mind. The hatchling are what is wrong with this great country. The hatchling have been fed the garbage that everything is okay as long as the lights are on and the TV works, and they regurgitate that garbage undigested.

Leno is pathetic (if he actually wrote it).

• Zina

I've never traveled out of the country, but I have heard what was posted already as an answer. Many foreign countries love the American people, but despise our government. While I am grateful for all that I have that being an American grants, I complain only for what I need, that I do not have, and perhaps can't have because of how our government has been run these past 8 years. Basic things like a home, affordable education, and the chance to have happiness and prosperity. I can say this: I am thankful to be working 2 jobs. I am thankful to have my health. I am thankful to have an education. But I am not: Thankful to be homeless, living out of my car, because of our economy, credit, and housing market disaster. Thankful for my third winter of being homeless, and the struggle to stay warm at night. Thankful for the lack of help there is for my situation because I make too much money, and due to being a taxpayer; not eligible to receive help. The only negativism I buy is the ones I'm experiencing personally.

I was actually agreeing with him until he started talking about how great the President is. The first and the last portions are for the most part true (STOP listening to the media so much), but I stand by the belief that anyone who still supports Bush is either evil or mentally challenged. But yeah, I AM grateful for my local grocery store and fire stations. This country has a LOT going for it, those aren't the things that make people unhappy OBVIOUSLY. It's the fact that we were MUCH BETTER OFF before Bush took office. That is a fact.

Source(s): Leno is the spoiled one, he doesn't see that most people in America don't live like he does. Where's MY flat-screen TV? We don't all live in the same lap of luxury that he wallows in. The fact that he says "turn off your TV" (which I VERY MUCH agree with) makes me very much doubt this came from him. TV is his bread and butter. I'll be checking Snopes like someone suggested.

LOOKS like mr leno took the gift of a sheep meaning if he has any guns any place around him for protection ect ect then he is not using the gift of wisdom don't talk one way and walk the other

There is a name for this logical fallacy. That the temperature is -40 in Siberia doesn't make the +17 temperature in Chicago warm.

• RELAX

We should always be thankful, but it would be silly not to keep working,to make things even better for us all. Sure Jay is happy, he has everything and has to worry about nothing. It could be worse, but why not make it better? It is the Republican way to tell us to shut up and wait for the crumbs to trickle down. Why would anyone fall for that?

Should have known it was fake, it posted by a Republican.

• dlk

I completely agree with Jay, however.................I am unhappy not about any of the above.................I am unhappy that Our Nation is loosing its sovereignty, I am unhappy that I feel our Government is being hijacked and heading towards socialism, I am unhappy that our Citizens are not paying attention..........it is up to us to stop this nonsense before we loose our way.

I agree with what Leno wrote, and after reading some of the responses your question received, I have to agree that America has become a nation of spoiled children.

• Jay's got it right.

Those who think they have it so bad should visit eastern Europe,Africa and Asia.Get out of the tourist areas,just a few miles,and see the world.

They'd come back with an appreciation for America,they don't have now.