swot analysis for Gap (clothing stores)?

I am looking for strengths, weaknesses, threats, and opportunities for GAP. Recommendations for the future. Any ideas I am doing a whole strategic plan and kinda stuck on the swot analaysis

Favorite Answer

I think specific knowledge is required before a good swot analysis can be done.

Unfortunately I don't have that specific knowledge.

But I can help you with the following, based on the assumptions that GAP has a ready and comprehensive infrastructure of distribution.

Strengths:

1) Branding - personally i feel GAP has strong branding in the everyday basics, from casual to work wear etc.

2) Infrastructure - allows for ease of distribution nationally and internationally.

3) Quality - consumer trust in quality is built

Weaknesses:

1) Formal evening wear/ party clothes : I'm not sure about internationally, but in Singapore, it is not known to be the first choice of many who are searching for party clothes. Like I mentioned, we go there for the basics.

2) Marketing : a strong brand it may be, but marketing is not as strong in Singapore.

Threats:

1) Rapid changing fashion trends : any clothing store that falls behind in these will lose out a chunk of its market share.

2) Rising production costs will reduce profit margins

3) Breakdown in distribution network.

Opportunities:

1) Using Singapore as an example, more marketing can be done.

2) New market share : the younger and hip crowd - following up on the point on expanding their range of clothes beyond just the basics.

3) New products : expanding beyond clothing to include more shoes, handbags etc... not sure if GAP already carries these.. or if the branding on such items are strong.

More homework needs to be done, specific to GAP. A swot analysis on GAP is different from just doing a swot on clothing shops in general. Go ahead.. think it through.

However, do note that in any business, it is important to have a target market. Trying to expand beyond means or targetting everyone and anyone will result in dilution of customers' interest. Like I mention, I don't quite see young adults heading to GAP for party clothes. But this may not be GAP's main target anyway.

Good luck.

P.S : GAP's storefront in Singapore, not too outwardly trendy.. not sure bout those overseas.

• gayman

Gap Swot Analysis

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): swot analysis gap clothing stores: https://shortly.im/dMBSc
  • Ira

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/aygLK

The SWOT consists of 4 components: Strength, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats. These are factors in the internal and external business environment that could affect your business. In your case, I can think of a few: Strengths: This represents the internal strengths of the company, or 'what makes your company "better" than others'. Some examples could include; Reputation, location, strong relationships with suppliers/customers, skilled and diligent workforce. Weaknesses: This is the weakness of the company and the areas in which it's not good at. Possible examples could be poor past sales performance, lack of qualified staff, bad location, etc. Opportunities: This refers to what goes on outside your company which you have no control over. Somethings happening outside may benefit your business, such as a drop in interest rates, or monetary incentives for small businesses from the government. Threats: Also refers to the external environment, but these things can harm your business, such as competition, or manufacturing going overseas (transportation costs go up, so do your overhead costs). These are the things you need to research and identify. There are many places where you can find information. You can get info from newspapers and magazines, you could log onto government statistics websites, logging onto the company websites, find articles in the school or local library, etc. I hope this helps a little. Good luck.

I do not know the best way to answer this without offending