Personal weapon question?

So i know that when you are a soldier, the weapons/gear issued to you IS NOT YOURS, its the property of the US Government...the question i have is, can you buy a gun for yourself. Not one to carry into combat, thats not what im asking, but can you buy, say, a hunting rifle, or a pistol/shotgun to keep at your house for home defense, or are there restrictions against soldiers owning store-bought weapons/ weapons that are not issued to them by the military?

Any info would be great...thanks

Favorite Answer

if you are in base housing (an actual home on the base) or off base housing then yes you can. If it is on base housing you must register the weapon with the PMO (MP's) and yes you can keep it in your house.

If you live off base you just have to abide by the same laws a normal civilian would for having the gun since you are not on the base. If you want to bring that gun onto the base from your home off base it must be cleared with the PMO 1st.

Many bases (most) allow hunting on the base in designated areas during hunting season with special permits. I have killed a lot of deer on camp lejune. There is a road that civilians use as a short cut that passes though camp lejune and takes you to sneads ferry. When you drive on that road it is not uncommon to to see over 100 deer. If it gets real bad they allow civilian hunters to hunt on the base, but I am sure that has changed since 9/11

If you live in the barracks then you can have a weapon but it must be kept in the armory you can not keep it in the barracks. You have to sign it out each time you need it

Source(s): USMC

Army: If you own a weapon and want to bring it on base, you must register it with the MP station.

If you live in the barracks, you must get the CO's permission to have it stored in the arms room. No weapons allowed in the barracks.

I was a single male living in the barracks. I was the Company Armorer. I had to register my own weapons at the MP station and get the CO's permission and then inform myself that I was keeping my personal weapons in the Arms room.

If yo live in housing, you still have to register with the MPs. Off base, then you deal with the local laws

Source(s): U.S.Army Disabled Veteran 19K20 M1A1 Abrams 1990-1996
  • Annie

There are no restrictions on your privately owning a weapon other than those in place through federal and state laws. However, there are very strict rules about the storing of weapons in base housing (such as dorms) and you will not be allowed to take it with you at all if you are stationed overseas.

When I was stationed at Fort Bragg I had a shotgun for hunting that I kept at a buddies house, he was a soldier too.

I think if you live on base you have to keep weapons in the armory, you dont really need it if you do live on base but off base you can have what ever you want

If you live on base you can if you ask the military police. If your on a base you wont really need one for self defense though

If not you can if you want.

I was in the Marine Corps Infantry and with our unit commanders permission we could buy one BUT it must be kept in the battalion armory...they never denied anyones request as long as you follow the rules.

I did not like the puny 9mm. No knock down power. So I had my dad ship me a .45 acp. I had him sent it to the supply Sgt. and bribed him with some cuban cigars.

PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE FIRST ANSWER IT IS 100% CORRECT

my penis is my weapon, ive killed 33 women and several strange men with it