Does eating sweets before dinner truly ruin your appetite?

I think it's all in our heads. I'm a swimmer & I've never had a problem with eating, lol. But I've never really put much thought into whether what our moms have told us all our lives (about ruining our appetite by eating sweets before dinner) is true or not. Does anybody have any good input on this?... show more I think it's all in our heads. I'm a swimmer & I've never had a problem with eating, lol. But I've never really put much thought into whether what our moms have told us all our lives (about ruining our appetite by eating sweets before dinner) is true or not. Does anybody have any good input on this? If you believe, or know for aa fact that it's true, why is that so? Of you know of anything related to that, please let me know; and of course if you don't agree, like me, I also want your input & a good reason. Thanks.

PS. If it's true, is it because so much sugar gives us a lot of energy & makes us feel satisfied momentarily; or because it makes us want more instead of the food, which may "taste bad" in comparison? Just some thoughts for you guys to go off on. :]