Tell his parents, Call the cops,or what?

I have a family and my son friend lives a couple homes down. He was put out by his mom and stept dad( they just moved to this state 5mo ago) so i help out and let the kid hang out here while they got their family in order, He now goes home and here on weekends (past 4 mo)and hes 18 next mo. He brought a loaded GUN in my Home a hid it in my basement, my youngest son found it (thank god no one touched it) How should i handle this ?

i wont give it back --even tho he keep askin me every week.

Favorite Answer

A job for the police. Screw the kid. He's on the road to hell obviously. Before you know it the kid gets picked up for something and to sweeten the pot he says to the cops "Hey...i know a place where there's a stolen gun being hidden".

Heh, heh...guess what? Who do you think will be at your door with a search warrant because the kid tells them YOU are the one who stole the gun and have been trying to sell it to HIM.

No kidding man....make the call. Because in the world of police its "He who talks first, wins".

I would call the police and ask them and turn the gun over to them. While I wouldn't want him to get into any trouble, he is going down a very dangerous path, and it could have deadly consequences for you or him. I would make it clear, under no circumstances is he ever to bring ANY kind of weapon in your house again.

It sounds like he is troubled and comes from a troubled home. Do you know why his parents kicked him out?

I would be talking with them as well, so that they know there is an issue. This is serious. You took on the responsibility of this young man when you allowed him into your home. You can not and should not put you or your family at risk to save him. He has to be made aware just how serious this is.

• Sarahz

turn the gun into the police- hes' not even old enough to purchase one yet- it's probly stolen. and you should have had a HUGE discussion with him about the terrible thing he did by bringing a gun onto your home- what if something would have happened? Time for him to grow up and learn the life lessons of his actions. I'm sure his parents didn't kick him out for no reason....he needs a good reality check. What did he think he needed the gun for anyway?

time for a sit down discussion with him and his parents.

He's endangering everyone and who knows who he is connected to...gangs? Yikes. Phone the police and talk to a juvenile officer now. Don't just haul the gun in there! Have them come to your home and deal with it. The kid should be taken in and questioned. Don't tip the kid off. Don't tell your son anything either. Check to see who your son is hanging out with as well.

Sit down with your sons friend and find out where he got the gun from, what he plans on using it for, why he feels he needs one. He obviously needs someone to tell him what he is doing is wrong, and that he betrayed your trust. Thank God you found the gun before he did anything seriously stupid. Yes his parents need to know. But he might talk to you more openly than them.

• Yoda

Take it to the police station and tell them you found it outside by an alley, or street. Then no longer allow this kid into your home. If he is willing to put your family in danger after all you have done for him then he should no longer be allowed in your home. He will have to find a way to make it on his own.

Yoda out

Unload the gun. When he comes home point it at him and ask him why he brought this crap into my home?

Then tell him he cannot return and keep this gun. Then turn it in the cops.

Explain to him about what could had happened with the gun with your son. Allow me to tell you my story....my ex didn't think our son knew he had a gun nor where the bullets were but he did..had a fight with his father and he killed himself. True story! My ex never had guns not sure why he had one than but he doesn't anymore and he now has two more children. I can't have anymore. PLease get it out of the house!!!! I care!!

That kid isn't your problem,he obviously he has some major behavior problems that are beyond you. HE BROUGHT A LOADED GUN INTO YOUR HOUSE AND YOUR SON FOUND IT....

• Marina

Call the police. His parents can't be counted on to do anything. Do it immediately before someone gets maimed or killed.