Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

What is Chili Grind?

I have been searching for a good recipe for chili but I keep seeing recipes that call for chili grind (course ground beef). What is this and what do I look for when I try to get it from the grocery store?

Favorite Answer

Chili grind is just beef that's ground a bit coarser than what you normally get at the market. Ask the butcher if they have it available, most markets here in the States carry it now. It is a nice product for things like chili and shepard's pie.

Source(s): I'm a chef

The butcher usually passes the ground beef through the grinder like 3 times ,, chili grind would be only 2.

It would make no difference so most people accept regular grind

BUT you can ask for it special,, Buy a small roast or steak and they will grind it for you. Like I often ask for ¼lb of ground pork because I can't use the whole pound..and only use it for chili.

• mark

If you're using store ground meat then anything will do. If you were grinding it yourself then use the course plates on your grinder. Most great chili is made from chopped and cubed meat and the store ground is simply an expedient solution. My point is you can make your chili with most any grind or simply chop or dice your meat. You can make it with any kind of meat as well. I like a beef/pork combo if I am using ground meat.

Ask your butcher for a courser grind of beef for chili...he'll know! I have also bought a round steak and cut it myself as small as possible.

• Brooke

It is coarse ground beef. Most grocery stores have it and sell it as "chili ground" or "coarse ground for chili". However, the fat content tends to be a bit higher than using cubed beef or ground beef and is often higher in connective tissue, so it can lead to a greasier chili and have bits that are difficult to chew. I find it better to run a decent cut of beef through the food processor a bit since I can control the amount of fat.