promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsFish · 1 decade ago

Fish disease in tap water?

Hi,

I have a 90L tropical fish aquarium. It seems that there is something in my tap water. I know that there probably is ammonia in it and so i am using Nutrafin AquaSafe, but i'm sure that there is some form of fin/mouth rot in the tap water as i have treated the tank for it using treatment and the fish are fine but by the next time i do a water change there is always another sympton appearing of fin/mouth rot??? Is this disease possible in the tap water? If so is there any other sort of AquaSafe that treats for diseases???

Update:

I have already took my water and they said that it was perfect?!

Also would an UV steriliser work???

Update 2:

The fish in the tank are:

Two clown loaches, one silver shark, 5 neon tetras, 5 harlequins, 1 guppy and an algea eater.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    I really doubt it's in your tap water. THough some private wells can contain high bacteria levels, no expert, but I don't think it's the same bacteria.

    Aquasafe does NOT remove ammonia. Only removes chlorine, chloramines, and I believe some heavy metals from the water.

    Now, fin/tail rot is a bacterial infection, usually brought on by poor water quality. So, how long has your tank been set up for? If it's a newer tank-less then 3 months old, your most likely having water quality issues due to the tank going through what's called the cycle process, see the first article on this link:

    http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/startupcycle/Ste...

    If it's not a newly set up tank....what types and how many fish are in it? If the tank is overstocked, water quality is usually always an issue...and along with that is sick/dying fish.

    How often do you do water changes? For a normal stocked, fully cycled tank, you should be doing weekly water changes of about 25% along with a good gravel vacuum weekly.

    9 times out of 10, when signs of fin/tail rot show up, just increasing the water changes is enough for the fish to cure themselves. If the tank is overstocked though, and you are doing the frequent water changes, you're most likely going to need to get rid of some of the fish or upgrade to a larger tank.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • PeeTee
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    If you are not changing your water regularly the pH may be yoyoing up and down with each water change. If this is true the problem is stress induced by the pH going up. If you let a tank go too long between W/C's the pH will go down (more acid),this renders the ammonia and nitrate compounds less toxic,then when you do a large water change the pH rises and the toxicity swings upward with the pH. This is very stressful to the fish and allows diseases that are always present in you tank to flare up. It could be fin or mouth rot, fungus,or Ich,but the problem is stress. The tap water is not the problem unless you live in Iraq.

    The cure is to monitor the pH,and only do 20% W/C's, but do them every week. If you have this problem you should do 20% W/C's every 2 days for about 10 days and then go to once a week. Also be sure to vacuum the gravel,this could be the source of the toxins.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    The fin and mouth rot came in on the fish. When they stress, then you can have an out break. It is not in the tap BUT that doesn't mean the tap water is not causing it. What you might want to do is request a water report from your city, it should be free. Cities dump all kinds of chemicals to purify the drinking water for the public, but that does not mean fish can live in that safely. The water here is not good, so I know what you are talking about. The solution is to buy reverse osmosis water from one of those water filling stations. You have to use some sort of buffer. I like R.O. Right and Neutral Regulator. Both are Kent Marine products. You must buffer r.o. water as is has nothing but h2o in it. If you don't the ph will drop quickly and your fish will die of acidosis. If the tap has ammonia in it there is no telling what else is in it.

    Always make sure the temperature remains the same when doing a water change, this can also add to the stress of the fish.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

    Its not your water thats causing the fish to get sick but a lack of room, which is causing your fish to stress out. sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that tank is severally overstocked. Each loach will be about 16 inches long as an adult and need a min of 55 gallons per fish. The fish are big and stalky and carry a very large bioload and I've seen quite a few sites suggest 75 gallons per fish. The bala shark also needs at least 55 gallons per fish but I have seen alot of sites saying the bigger the tank the better, some sites suggested 75 gallons - 120 gallons, for the rest another 20 gallons, so for a bare minimum of a tank your looking at 190 gallons plus for the amount of fish you have

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

    Go to any pet shop but take a water sample to pets at home and they will test it and tell you wat you need to add in.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.