flyingdog asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

Low-fat, low-carb and preferably vegetarian lunch ideas?

We have a microwave at work and a freezer cabinet that no-one uses, so I'm thinking of bringing in frozen veg just so I can cook them in the microwave and toss with something to make them a bit more interesting. I thought of this because a bowl of frozen peas cooked and tossed with olive oil and salt is delicious and surprisingly filling, but I figure I'll get sick of it. Basically, I want some ideas where I can bring frozen/dried goods into work in bulk and store them so I can make something more nutritious than but nearly as fast as canned soup which is what I'm currently living on! And yes, post-Christmas, I'm trying to drop a couple of kg, so want to keep fat/carb content right down - don't worry, I eat porridge for breakfast and full meat/veg/carb balanced meals for dinner! Thanks to all you creative food-lovers out there!

Favorite Answer

If you are going to eat vegetarian for lunch you have to eat beans for protein. Healthy protein promotes fat loss.

Nothing beats healthy eating

Concentrate on overall fitness and maintaining a healthy heart.

For best results, eat six times a day. Try balancing your meals 70% protein 30% carbs.

Eat a combination of lean protein and healthy carbohydrates every few hours throughout the day to speed up fat loss and maintain stable energy levels.

Eat your proteins from lean sources (Chicken, fish, boiled eggs, lean beef with all the fat drained off) and beans (lentil, lima, chile or any type of bean)

For your carbs stay away from breads, pasta and rice. They do provide energy but they are high in calories. Choose leafy vegetables, carrots, raisins, broccoli and fresh fruits. Weight train intensely, three times per week on alternating days with aerobic exercise three times per week.

Drink 10 to 20 glasses water per day NO SODA

Good Luck !!!

Lift weights to gain Muscle

Eat Right and do Cardio (jogging or bike riding 30minutes per day) to burn fat

• Amira

If you want to eat truly healthy, lose body fat consistently, normalize your blood pressure, cholesterol levels, prevent cancer, and even boost your brain health and energy levels, you may have heard all over the news that the Paleo Diet has been found to be one of the best methods of achieving all of these benefits compared to any other popular "fad" diets out there. Go here https://bitly.im/aMJBX

The truth is that the Paleo Diet will never be considered a fad because it's just simply the way that humans evolved to eat over approximately 2 million years. And eating in a similar fashion to our ancestors has been proven time and time again to offer amazing health benefits, including prevention of most diseases of civilization such as cancer, heart disease, alzheimers, and other chronic conditions that are mostly caused by poor diet and lifestyle. One of the biggest misunderstandings about the Paleo Diet is that it's a meat-eating diet, or a super low-carb diet. This is not true

Here is a link. http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/menus/a/lunchmenu...

I used to prepare soups at home and transport them in a special thermoflask (make Aladdin) designed for food. They would keep beautifully warm that way. In fact, I could transport entire meals in the flask: pasta, curries, risottos, kedgeree, left overs from dinner (I learned to avoid fish, which has an antisocial smell if you eat in a common area, unless it is cold fish!) Try bringing in a pitta bread (or keep a supply of them frozen) and add fillings of your choice according to what is available. I came across someone who always lunched on a filled pitta and you can be very inventive. Don't forget the old standby -- the baked potato with a filling.

Eat brown rice instead of white

Get some of those ziplock zip n steam bags and thake fresh veg in which you can steam, shake with spices or olive oil in the bag then serve. mediterrenean vegetables steamed and tossed in balsmic vineger and olive oil served with a pitta bread and some olives. yummy!

walk a toy poodle for 41 minutes at 2 miles per hour

eat four meals with chopsticks instead of a fork slowing down can help you consume about 25 fewer calories per meal

Eat an apple instead of bottled juice

eat a rainbow of colors have at least one brightly colored fruit or vegetable in each meal and if appropriate eat the skins thats where youll find a powerhouse of antioxidants

drink 8 cups of water a day