How does the AP get by with this?

here is the first paragraph for those that dont click links. It is speaking of Mitt Romney:

"The former Massachusetts governor pandered to voters, distorted his opponents' record and continued to show why he's the most malleable — and least credible — major presidential candidate. And it worked."

So much for the press being neutral.

here is the link. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080116/ap_po/on_deadl...

Favorite Answer

All you conspiracy theorists think the 'liberal AP' is out to get Romney?

Poll after poll shows Romney as the most beatable Republican. Heck, one guy calls for Democrats to vote for Romney in Michigan!

Its an opinion article. Disagree? OK. Don't pull a conspiracy theory out of your ***.

• Agreed. I'm no Romney fan but this is definitely NOT journalism.

If Fournier had said "In the state with the highest unemployment rate, the former Massachusetts governor took home a primary win by presenting the more palatable message "Your auto jobs will return" compared to rival McCain's opinion that carmakers were gone for good." I could let it go. But Fournier frontloaded that piece with an awful lot of "charged" words.

EDIT: If this piece is meant to be op-ed they could do a lot better job of indicating that. I went back and looked at it again and couldn't see anywhere where it said "opinion", "editorial" or any such disclaimer that it ought not be treated as factual news. It's STILL shoddy newswriting for that in my opinion (and I did about 5 years in broadcast radio news)

These days the AP pretty much posts anything someone pays them to post. They used to be a standard for non-biased press released and articles, however that has changed.

So while the press hates the internet for equalizing press coverage without credible review, they ironically now bias their credibility and review to whomever pays the most.

It is not hard news. It is a column. It includes a point of view. Columnist are allowed to do that. It is what publications have done for a long time. TV news is harder to tell what they are doing.

Editorials and columnists are not hard news reporters. This columnist calls his column "ON DEADLINE."

They think all readers should know that but the are wrong. They should put a disclaimer on editorials and columns at the top of the piece, not the bottom.

While I do not believe the AP is politically neutral, this article appears to be an opinion column (On Deadline) rather than a news article.

• Ken B

Where have you been? The press hasn't been neutral for over 45 years. Sorry, I seem to forget people aren't as old as I am...lol. No offense. I wish you could have seen the garbage they said about us Viet Nam vets.

News Flash I dont think anyone but those in the press thinks that the press is actually neutral. Most believe it is very liberal

• T-Bone

To answer your question;

The AP is a very liberal news organization, they also fail to report good news out of Iraq. They have a agenda to show only Democrats in a good light, and discredit all Republicans. The AP has never once stated that they are neutral, and should be viewed as a liberal hack organization.

The Liberal Biased Media wants the Republicans to put up McCain or Huckabee because it is far easier for a Democrat to beat a Moderate than a Conservative. Romney is so superior to any Democrat that they are scared to death of him.

*

• DOOM

Because it hasn't been "the news" for quite some time. It would be interesting to see if they say anything like that about Hillary's guaranteed victory in Michigan. Oh, sorry, there's no way that'll happen.