Are there any good restaurants for people who have the celiac disease?
My little brother has the celiac disease which means he is allergic to gluten. When we are out he has to eat a lot of pure beef or chicken and I feel sorry for him so I am putting together a list of restaurants that have good food and maybe also gluten-free pizza and pasta. So it there any good restaurants with good gluten-free food in Ottawa, Ontario?
- sailorLv 61 decade agoFavorite Answer
Many of the national restaurants in the US have gluten free options. Outback, Carrabbas, PF Chang all have gluten free menus. Magiannos even carries gluten free pasta. But I don't know if any of those are available in Ottawa. I have celiac disease and eat out a lot and my standby is a grilled chicken caesar salad after checking the dressing if possible. I tend to avoid Mexican and Chinese restaurants and have found that Italian restaurants seem to be the most accomodating toward finding something.
My advise is to call ahead, talk to them and see what they are willing to do.
- Celtic TejasLv 61 decade ago
You need to educate yourself just all that Gluten is in. The person recommending Chinese was way off base Most Soy Sauces have wheat in them too. Egg Rolls are wrapped in a wheat dough etc.
I live in Spring, TX a burb of Houston if I want to go to a 100% Celiac safe resturant there is 1 in San Antonio about 4 hours away. There are a few chains here that do have GF items on their menus. Google your area & see you may get a surprise.
I just luv going out to eat even though it can be hard. Best I can do on Pasta & Pizza is do my own at home. There are great Brown Rice Pastas http://www.tinkyada.com/ that taste just like wheat ones & even some Pre-made pizas shells that a quick pizza can be made on. What a treat that would be if you made him some.
You should have a Celiac Society http://www.enabling.org/ia/celiac/groups/groupsca....
in your area they should be able to help you on this Quest. Lots of luck.
Slainté (to your health) & your brother's
- 5 years ago
I think it is commendable that you are trying to develop a gluten free cafe. The problem I see is that at the most, only 2 percent of the population needs a gluten free diet so if you don't have food and drink that the other 98 percent would want to eat, then you will have trouble staying in business. So not only should you provide regular beer, but also gluten containing foods. As a celiac, I would not go to your restaurant unless my wife and friends could order what they wanted. My wife's only chance to eat regular food is when we eat out since she eats gluten free at home to simplify life.
- GlutenfreegirlLv 51 decade ago
I am not familiar with what is availalbe in Ca, but i hope this helps!
Outback, PF Changs and other rest's under their chain have GF menus.
Chilis and others have them online.
There is a dining guide availalbe (again, not sure how much Ca is in it) www.triumphdining.com I believe is the site.
I know there is some type of Celiac society (Coeliac) in Ca.
Getting GF pizza and pasta will be hard unless its a restaurant specific to GF eating.
I hope these sites help
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- 1 decade ago
If you have a Wendy's fast food restaurant in your area he can eat their salads and some other things. Go to www.wendys.com and click on nutrition under the menu items section. They will give you a list of gluten free items you can order. I have driven across the US twice and have eaten at Wendy's many times. Hope that helps!
- mockingbirdLv 71 decade ago
I don't know of any restaurants that specifically cater to celiacs. But in my experience, many vegetarian restaurants seem to be sensitive to their needs and label which items are gluten-free.
- 1 decade ago
gluten is in wheat pasta, your best bet is..... CHINESE FOOD!!!!! Mostly uses rice flour!