what is the meaning of the word 'bhai' in english?

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

In Hindi it was used to represent the Brother.

In Marati it was used to represent the GAGSTER.

In some states it was used to represent the Police and Naxal its not the Hindi language.

• Keren
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Yes, I know what you mean. I think that often, it's simply a matter of the context; if a word is used a certain way, it can mean a completely different thing than when it's used in a different way. Also, some formal words are used as slang words regularly, especially here on Yahoo! Answers. Therefore, the slang definition and the formal definition could give you a completely different meaning. I guess it's something you simply have to get used to. That's why I often wish every country spoke the same languages. I've known a little Spanish, a little French, a little Italian, and a little Japanese. Unfortunately, I've forgotten most of what I knew. But when I was more fluent with them than I am now, I remember hearing some things, and thinking, "What the heck.." because it made no sense. It can be so difficult when you're not a native speaker. [[[Moon]]]

• kimpel
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Bhai Meaning

• severe
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Bhai In Hindi

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what is the meaning of the word 'bhai' in english?

Source(s): meaning word 39 bhai 39 english: https://tr.im/zyeZF
  • 1 decade ago

'Bhai' exactly means brother. But in Mumbai this term is used for gangster. In the areas affected by Naxalite terrorism, the term elder brother (bada bhai) is used for police and younger brother (san/ chinna/ chhota bhai) is used for naxalites, as the villagers are sandwiched between two.

• 1 decade ago

it's kind of a respectful term for brother in india. it doesn't really have a meaning in english.

so you might call your brother, if his name is rajesh, rajesh bhai. or just bhai. but while brother is the literal translation, there's no exact equivalent in english. but it also means gangster ... i forgot to say that before.

• 1 decade ago

Bhai means brother in English.

Badda bhai means elder brother.

Chotta bhai means younger brother.

• 1 decade ago

Bhai is a Hindi word , the meaning of which is " brother "

Celebrating traditional festivals is always an important custom of Hindus. One of the most awaited festival is Bhaiya-dooj. Bhaiya meaning brother, and dooj meaning two days after new moon, this festival is celebrated two days after Diwali in Kartik month of Hindu calendar.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

word bhai is ahindi word.you can use brother word for bhai.in hindi films bhai is use for a person who is head of some gangs and always busy in killings,and some times used to perform the work like Robbinhood.all his subordinate,all people of his nabhourhood,police officers and helpless people love him.

• 1 decade ago

bhai means brother

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.