Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsWinter SportsSnowboarding · 1 decade ago

What is jib?

What does jib mean??

i know it has something to do with rails and jumps

Best Answer

The word "jib" is a verb used to describe the activity of riding your snowboard on things other than snow. It typically refers to riding rails and boxes but can also be trees, barrels, walls, and so on. So when the guys want a rail session they may just say, "let's go jibbing." Also, sometimes a snowboarder might be referred to as a "jib kid" if all they ever want to do is ride rails. Some snowboarders will include all terrain park activities (including jumps) when they refer to "jibbing." Although not jibbing in the pure sense, this might fit the definition that I gave at the start as air is something other than snow.

Jib Definition

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/ax5Vh

This actually intrigued me as well - I spent a few hours and a few phone calls to resolve my own position. A jib is a triangular foresail. It would be the sail(s) most forward of the forward mast. (on multi-masted vessels) There can be several, or one, or any number within reason. They will be on stays leading from the most forward point on the hull or bowsprit to the highest practical point on the mast. There is reference to jibs historically at least back to the 1600's in the english language. I just quickly grabbed a copy of Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian and in the first few pages I am looking at an image of a square rigged ship of around the mid 1700's with all sails hung out to dry in a calm, the flying jib is most forward with the Jib behind that, then comes the Fore topmast staysail, there is another furled sail between that of unclear purpose (probably a square course to be hung beneath the bowsprit on a yard just visible and then a Fore staysail hung from well back down the bow sprit to half way up the foremast. (This image is credited to the Serres, Liber Nauticus. Courtesy of The Science and Technology Research Center, The New York Public Library, Astor, Lenox, and Tilden Foundation.) Having had several conversations with Pep Manthorpe in his later years (Master mariner and Commander of the Endeavor replica on it's first global voyages, his son is/was master of the Dyfken on some of it's voyages) He would always refer to the jib(s) as the most forward sails, and a staysail would always be hanked to a stay mounted further down the mast than the forestay mounted jib(s) The distinction between a jib being mounted on a bowsprit or not seems to have much more to do with if the boat has a bowsprit in the first place, rather than having to have a bowsprit in order to call the foresail a jib. It would be fair to say when talking of a square rigged, or other multi-masted and canvassed vessel that a distinction should be made in the individual names of sails of similar configuration and location. But it is equally true that it is completely irrelevant to attempt this individual labeling when talking of a very simple two or three sail fore and aft rig. The majority of people have never had anything to do with much more the a basic dinghy rig, and no sail maker in the world will mistake your intention when you ring them up and ask for a jib! A Genoa is a jib that extends back past the mast next to the front part of the mainsail on a Bemudan, Ketch etc. rig. A jib should it have a boom mounted to it will be able to tack in front of the mast if no jackstay fitted (that is a stay mounted from the deck partway between the foot of the mast and the bow, and then going about half to two thirds up the mast) A sail mounted to a jackstay will be referred to as a staysail still today. Unless you have two or more masts you could not mount any other staysail. It is a debate over semantics in the modern context, I appreciate the pure intent of the terms but fail to see that it will create anything but confusion unless these terms are applied to the appropriate class of vessel. Edit I enjoyed most of the links of 'threesheave', although the first link accused me of stealing bandwidth or something. I guess my 34 footer is the only yacht I own that has jibs now, all the others will have to do with headsails from now on. I wonder if they will notice the change........ :)

• baz75

Jibbing is tricks on man made objects like rails, boxes etc. Its interesting what the guy above says about objects like trees being used for jibbing, but to my way of thinking thats not jibbing as its using natural terrain. But i suppose nowadays the word jib has a wider meaning and its basically tech type tricks on any solid ish object. Good luck with the riding.

What Is A Jib

• Angela

Well, I have been sailing jib rigged sloops for 25 years, and I was taught the name of the foresail is: jib. Would some people like to call it a genoa, or jennie? What others names would our fellow forum participants like to call it?

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

What is jib?

What does jib mean??

Source(s): jib: https://shortly.im/y4apN

To jib means to dip. Jibbing is dipping tobacco, or packing a lip.

Ex. "Jeff I just got a new can of Copenhagen Wintergreen!"

"Let's go jib!"

Its pretty much any type of Grind, Bonk, slide, tap. Tricks that aren't performed on jumps but rather on some type of feature.

I like my short version better, this dude sez the same thing as me and just drags it out lol

Source(s): Snowboard instructor/ jibber