electric meter key or normal meter?

i have a property with electric key meter and i find it bit of hassle gettin to shop's n get top up. I am looking to change into monthly bill system but before that i need some opinions on that. Is it good idea to get rid of key? Will it be expensive on monthly bill or is it same?

i am with southern electric. what is your recommendation for supplier as well.

Thanks

Best Answer

Monthly bill is usually cheaper. I have recently changed from Southern Electric to British Gas for my electricity but would recommend you check out who's offering best deals in your area now.

Change to bills. Do you know that you pay rent for these key meters? You can pay a set amount each month (eg I pay £25 gas and £40 electric per month, 2 bed house) you pay the same through summer and winter so the fact you dont use as much during summer balances it out for the winter. If you do use more the company will contact you and tell you but just to be on the safe side give them a ring every couple of months, give them a reading and they will tell you whether you are paying enough

It is cheaper on a monthly bill and even cheaper if you pay direct debit but I have a key meter and find it is easier for me as I prepay and don't have a scary bill to look forward to at the end of the month! My local shop tops up my key for me, no hassle

check out www.uswitch.com or similar website. you can compare all the suppliers in your area as well as comparing the difference between ways of paying. i know its a hassle at time to top up your key, i have one, but at least your not going to get a big bill or monthly payment plan that you have trouble paying. Also, check out EBICo ltd, They are a non profit making company set up by a christian group to offer low price dual fuel to people who may find the increases hard and they also offer key metre and monthly plans, I'm in the middle of switching. Good luck

One supplier is as good or bad as another really. We have a key meter because my Missus likes it, I prefer monthly bills.

• Yoda

Generally pre-pay meters cost more because of extra service charges, But there is one exception which I recommend to everyone which is Equipower (ebico).

This is a non-profit company, which as well as the cheapest prices for electricity also has NO standing charges.

For more info use this link http://www.ebico.co.uk/.

Source(s): Happy customer for 2 years
  • Don

i would stick with the key option, i did change for the pay monthly option and for three months of having it i had a 600pound electric bill, so i changed back, if your not sure on who is best i would do a search and compare who would be better for you. hope this helps

We have a key meter and it was the best thing we ever did!

you will save yourself some by getting rid of it as they do charge you for having the meter!

i am with southern electric too, we changed our meter a year ago and it is definitely cheaper, only about £5 per month but it adds up over the year

• Ysanne

A prepayment meter is much more expensive than a monthly (or quarterly) bill.