Honey Bee asked in Dining OutFast Food · 1 decade ago

Does a McDonald's 'fillet-o-fish- burger count as a serving of fish?

In terms of diet, does the fillet O fish burger from McDonalds count as a serving of fish? I don't know exactly what is in it.....is it even real fish? I'm trying to get in 3 serves of fish a week and I don't know if I can count this.....thanks!

Favorite Answer

Nope. Doesn't count. It's full of oil and stripped of nutrients. So even if it's fish, it depends on it's composition. When they say take 3 servings of fish it means fresh fish. ^_^

ADD: I had some friends working in a fastfood company R&D team and they recommend me NOT to eat anything processed no matter how "healthy" it was advertised.

"the coating on the fish is specially designed to resist absorption of oil so when it is fried it absorbs less oil than most other fried fish products"

Let's put it this way, assuming that is true then what doesn't stop it from NOT letting the oil drain out? I doubt they use canola oil since it's not cost-efficient.

And wasn't McDonalds always claiming their foods are "healthy" but now are currently facing a lawsuit?

Yes, one fillet of fish is a 3 ounce portion of fish. It IS real fish, too. I used to work at a McDonalds years ago and was well schooled about all the products.... Also, the coating on the fish is specially designed to resist absorption of oil so when it is fried it absorbs less oil than most other fried fish products..... also it is yummy!!! My favorite McD's sandwich, but then again, I love to eat fish anyways. Good luck to you--MissDelanne

• SAK

Yes, it is real fish. It is good to eat protein with carbs. It helps the energy from the food last a bit longer.

When I go to McDonald's, I like to get the fillet of fish burger, because then I know it's reasonably healthy.

Take care.

If you care at all about your health, steer clear of McDonald's... I love the response from the previous poster:

"the coating on the fish is specially designed to resist absorption of oil"

McDonald's practices food science like alchemy. They can do magic in the lab, and recreate that magic a hundred million times at the drive-thru, but that don't make it healthy, or even safe to consume. Specially designed fish coating? I think I'll stick to freshly prepared natural ingredients consumed in moderation.

• Don't listen to the person who said it isn't real fish.It is real fish & it does count as servings of fish.It counts for 3 exactly so it's a really good deal.

• tone

yes the filet o fish sandwich counts as serving of fish. 4oz portion is serving.......their fish sandwich delicious too.

counts as a serving of fat,,,,high calories,,,,bake your own fish from home....

when it was $.35 it was.