How can I tell the size of a drill bit?

The drill bits are loose and the marking on them is faded away. Any ideas?

Best Answer

bits sizes are measured as their diameter, no? If this is indeed the case, drill a hole and measure it. Otherwise, no idea.

Drill Bit Sizes

1

Source(s): Woodworking Techniques http://givitry.info/WoodworkingProjects

If you need a quick reference, use a ruler or tape measure. If you plan on keeping them, either get a drill index as someone previously mentioned, or get a caliper as someone else also previously mentioned. If you don't know someone that has calipers and decide to buy one, I would recommend a 6" dial caliper. You can measure inside and outside dimensions, and down into holes, cracks, etc with the rod part. Try to find one that has fractional and decimal increments, and I always try to find the plastic ones. That is because I use one on a daily basis (I do custom woodworking), and the metal ones are too heavy to carry on me along with my other tools and measuring devices (I have a shop apron). And if you don't plan on using a caliper often, avoid the digital ones because by the time you probably need to use it again, the battery will be dead. Measure the bit on the shank (the opposite end of the tip, where there are no grooves) to determine the size. Once you know the exact measurements of the bits, you can drill holes in a piece of wood to store them. Make a label of paper or a label maker,etc., and label the block of wood. Someone else mentioned this, and it is great because your bits are handy and readily accessible. Or go to some yard/garage sales, or maybe thrift stores if you want a cheap ol' bit box. Or try ebay or something similar if you want a case. A tip for drilling in wood is to always drill the hole the size of the screw shank or a hair smaller. This insures that you get a good bite with the screw thread. Have fun drilling!

You should be able to buy cheap measuring calipers at your local $2 shop. You can then use them to measure your drill bits. If you don't want to do this, get a pair of steel salad/vege tongs that have a closing ring. Put your bit in between the jaws and close the ring until the jaws just touch the bit. Then you can measure the space with a ruler. Too hard trying to measure the bits directly with a ruler.

get yourself a drill bit guide and a drill bit box that is indexed. Use the box to narrow the size down then the guide to narrow it down further then ,well put it in the box! Or if it's a cheap set throw them in a shoe box and get another "more better" set with a nice indexed box. Get the titanium, bits that have a guarantee that if they break ya get a new one. There expensive but well worth the money trust me!

If you go to your local hardware store they have drill bit guides that look like a credit card with holes in it. You then stick the bit into the holes until you find one that fits snug and you have your size.

Or, if you have a good tape measure that goes down to 32nds you can measure it on there.

Drill into a piece of spare wood, then use a bolt or screw of the anticipated size to fit into the hole you drilled. It seems like a pain, but it has saved me from costly mistakes many times.

If you need to ask, I am sure you are not worried about getting in to 64TH of an inch. To get close for rough work use a ruler, yard stick, steel tape. Any type of measuring device. Measure just back of the funny looking part, and you will be close.

If they are loose, get a 2 by 4, bore a hole with each one keeping the size in order if you can. Now you have a place to keep them, makes it much easier than looking thru all.

Source(s): I keep the most common ones this way beside my drill press, saves opening up a drill index.

If you are planning to start on your woodworking project, this isn't something you should use, it's something that you would be insane not to. Go here https://tr.im/A5Gtg

Truth is, I've been a carpenter for almost 36 years, and I haven't found anything like this for less than 10's of thousands of dollars.