Verizon Claming a Debt from 11/00?

Can this, after so long be a negative on my credit report effecting my score? I live in New York (if it makes any difference). If I am not mistaken, a debt cannot effect a score after 7 years of the first missed payment but would like to verify. The collection agent stated it was mine and I asked for proof of... show more Can this, after so long be a negative on my credit report effecting my score? I live in New York (if it makes any difference). If I am not mistaken, a debt cannot effect a score after 7 years of the first missed payment but would like to verify.

The collection agent stated it was mine and I asked for proof of debt mailed to me. I then thanked him (I was not so pleasant with my words).

What are my options?

I am going to get copies of all my credit reports over the next couple of days to ensure accuaracy. My wife and I are looking for a home and do not need this crap ruining our chances at getting a good rate.