How to use an ibid with bibliographies?

Can anyone help me with with this? i'm not sure of the correct way to use ibids in my bibliography.

examples would be extremely helpful!!!

• Favorite Answer

You don't use "Ibid." in a bibliography.

You only use it in footnotes. "Ibid." means "the same source as the previous note." It can be exactly the same source, or a different page of the same book. Like:

1. Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace, New Haven: Yale UP, 2001, 35-40.

2. Ibid.

3. Ibid., 42-44.

But in the bibliography (list of sources), you just list every source once, in alphabetical order, no matter how many times you used it. So there's no "ibid."

So in this case, the Bibliography would just have one entry:

Tolstoy, Leo. War and Peace. New Haven: Yale UP, 2001.

Ibid you adeui? seriously I have no idea- so why did I just waste this precious 10 seconds to answer this! wait, not its 15 seconds....geesh...and someone else intelligent could of taken my spot instead. Up my alley, not it is- hehe! I hope your bibliography goes well! Sounds interesting! I have always wanted to do a study on that topic, as I know many who do not even believe hell exists.

if 2 or more concurrent footnotes are from the same source, on the 2nd and all remaining can use ibid

Say this was your footnote section at the bottom of the page and the first 2 notes were from Hemmingway's Grapes of Wrath, the 3rd was from a New York Times article and the 4th was again from Grapes of Wrath, it would read like this:

1. Hemmingways "Grapes of Wrath" 3rd edition, page 14

2. ibid, page 10

3. New York Times "Hemmingway, the Legend" March 14, 1982

4. Hemmingways "Grapes of Wrath" 3rd edition, page 37

When you refer to the same book / article in your footnote, more than once consecutively, you may use Ibid. starting in your 2nd reference.

e.g. (the numbers are footnote numbers):

36 Howard Gardner, "Five Minds for the Future", p. 27

37 Ibid., p. 55

That means footnote 37 refers also to Howard Gardner's same book, with a different page.

But you may not use it if you refer to any other book / article not directly preceding the footnote.

e.g.:

37 Gary B. Nash, "History on Trial", p. xi

38 Ibid., p. 55

The footnote 38 would thus refer to Nash's book instead of Gardner's. In that case, if you want to refer to Gardner you should instead use "Gardner, Op.cit., p. 55."

In the second case, if you want to refer to the same page of Gardner's book, you can use "Gardner, Loc.cit."

"Ibid." is actually a short form of "ibidem", which means "idem", in the same place (as above).

How To Use Ibid

Those are worn out use the new version of references

see a book on writing-obey me

1. Go to: "Homework Help" on this site. 2. Look for Sylvan. As you see, they have tutors that can help you. I couldn't find an example to help you, sorry!