Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceQuotations · 1 decade ago

what does the saying, "from shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in 3 generations" mean??

THANKS your help is greatly appreciated!

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The universal cultural proverb that says "shirtsleeves to shirt sleeves in three generations," is as old as writing itself. And when I say universal, I mean that it appears in every culture I have studied. Clogs to clogs, kimono to kimono, rice paddy to rice paddy, shirtsleeves to shirt sleeves. And it is a proverb that describes human behavior in terms of creating long-term families as failure.

The theory of the proverb is that the first generation starts off in a rice paddy, meaning two people with an affinity for one another come together and create a financial fortune. They usually do it without making significant changes to their values, customs or lifestyle. The second generation moves to the city, puts on beautiful clothes, joins the opera board, runs big organizations, and the fortune plateaus. The third generation, with no experience of work, consumes the financial fortune, and the fourth generation goes back in the rice paddy. This is the classic formulation of the shirtsleeves proverb, which is as true today as it has been throughout evolved human history.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

"Shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations" means to point out a typical pattern: the first generation has the determination and puts forth the effort to build a business and a degree of wealth; the second generation (their children) do not have the same determination, and do not put forth the effort, living on inertia, and so cannot maintain the business and wealth; they spend it. Their children (the third generation) is then back to a typical workaday existence. The moral is to teach your children to earn their own way; spoiling them is the worst choice of all. Raise them to appreciate what it takes to build what they see around them, and give them opportunities to act as determinedly as you did. The bottom line is that how you educate your children (in every facet) matters more than anything else you do in raising them.

• 4 years ago

The Sermon on the Mount was clearly addressed to the Jews for the Jews and worded in a way the Jews would grasp easily. The bible account is clear about who were gathered their on those hills in Galilee. Jews all of them. Not Christians, not Jehovah's Witnesses, Catholics or anyone other than Jews. It is Jesus word choices that make the sermon so powerful to his listeners, You asked: "Why do godless people attempt to answer a question about God? And why do godless people attempt to answer a question about Jesus when they claim he didn't exist? Oh, and in the process, fail to answer the question?" Because some of us are not convinced yet. Does not believing the bible to be the word of God, negate it's value as a possible source of historical interest? Someone very wise wrote or said those words on that mountainside thousands of years ago. Does the fact that I may question the mystical claims of rising from the dead, healing, and being the God on earth, change my opinion of the words he expressed. No it doesn't. So I remain interested in what people like you peacelilly, 360, Annsan, Speak Boldly, and a few others (sorry could not pull up the avatars/names at the moment) have to say. I read and evaluate all evidence, It is really the only right thing to do. Otherwise I would have to call myself an atheist, I still consider myself agnostic, so maybe there is still hope for me.????

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

what does the saying, "from shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in 3 generations" mean??

THANKS your help is greatly appreciated!

Source(s): quot shirtsleeves shirtsleeves 3 generations quot mean: https://biturl.im/UZAar
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Hey that's from Diary, I just finished reading that today. Awesome book. I think it is a reference to how one generation has all the money, then 3 generations later its gone again and the new 4th generation must earn it back.

• Lisa
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/OKG0D

Jesus was speaking to natural Jews. His phrase, "the meek will inherit the earth" would instantly remind them of Psalm 37:11, "But the meek will inherit the land and enjoy great peace." The context of that Psalm shows that Jewish people who were humble before their God, patiently waiting on Him to deal with the wicked instead of trying to take matters into their own hands, would be blessed in the promised land. The Hebrew word can be translated either as land or as the earth. Of course the promised land was earth. It wasn't water or air. The soil the Israelites stood on was what they had been promised, and the meek would be rewarded with their portion. That is what those Jews would have thought when Jesus gave His sermon on the mount. However, we also know that Jesus had His work cut out disabusing the Israelites of the limited, earthly notions they had about the kingdom of God! They expected Messiah to be a literal king who would re-established the Davidic kingly line. They wanted Him to get rid of the hated Roman yolk and give them political freedom. Even the disciples took till after the resurrection to realise Jesus was not going to do that. (Luke 24:13-27) So what did He mean? Jesus knew the magnitude of the kingdom of God, and that He was its king, who would go away then return in kingly glory. That's why He gave the parable of the ten minas, given to the servants of a man going on a journey. Notice how this parable was prompted "because he was near Jerusalem and the people thought that the kingdom of God was going to appear at once" (Luke 19:11-27). In the parable, his subjects sent a delegation to say 'We don't want this man to be our king'. He was made king, however, and returned home. This is speaking of the nation of Israel's rejection of Christ as their King! Meek ones who trusted Him put the money to good use. Arrogant ones who accused their King falsely and said He was harsh were treated harshly, judged by their own words. Those who seek spiritual gain in the gospel, for themselves and others, will become richer, and those who neglect or squander what is given them will become impoverished, losing even what they have. The events of 70 C.E. were a fulfilment of this. A warped understanding of what 'the kingdom of God' means will prevent people from understanding these beatitudes. There are those who would limit their expectations to a merely earthly existence, ruled from heaven. They have no interest in being in heaven, alongside the King! They are earthly people, not spiritual people. They suppose that they would be the meek who inherit the earth after God destros the wicked, and others would go to heaven - but not them! It's odd, because those self-same ones insist that they are persecuted for righteousness' sake, and that they are peacemakers, and that they are pure in heart and poor in spirit. But they have no more than a passing interest in the kingdom of heaven! They don't want to actually 'inherit' it - they only want to inherit the earth! Those same people deny that God will ever destroy this present earth, insisting that it will abide forever. Yet the Bible states that this earth will pass away and be replaced! Even Jesus said, "Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away" (Matthew 24:35). That reminds us of Jesus' words further on in the sermon on the mount: "I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished." (Matthew 5:18) This bring us to 2 Peter 3:6-15 where we are told that our present heavens and earth are reserved for fire on the day of judgement. Not only will ungodly men be destroyed, but "The heavens will disappear with a roar; the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare... But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness." The new earth will be a home, and it will enjoy righteousness. People will be on it. All of that is way ahead in the future, of course. And what God might, or might not do in the future is not the gospel. There's no point in trying to thrash out how all such prophecies might work out if we have not first become Christ's disciples, following after Him as King! We don't follow Christ because we want to live on a paradise earth. We follow Christ because He died that we might be forgiven and enter into peace as a child of God. Until we humble ourselves and become as little children, we will never enter the kingdom of God (Mark 10:14-16). Which brings us back to the meekness of the Beatitudes. The children of God know God to be their heavenly Father for the statement in John 1:12-13 applies to them. They are content to be wherever their Father decides to place them in His kingdom. It's not about location - it's about relationship.

• 1 decade ago

i dont know cant mind but seeing somone who does 2 mos y not message be bak

• 1 decade ago

grandparents worked to make money

grandkids blew it

• 1 decade ago

it means every style of clothing eventualy is back in style

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.