Who should pay for the damage?Teen had party while parents away and caused $17000 U.S.. or $20000 Australian?

Article was found on Yahoo news, from Sydney ,Australia but the incident happened in Narre Warren.The parents were away and left their 16 year old son home alone.There were 500 kids at this house party and it escalated to the point 30 police officers were called out, the canine unit and the police helicopter.The... show more Article was found on Yahoo news, from Sydney ,Australia but the incident happened in Narre Warren.The parents were away and left their 16 year old son home alone.There were 500 kids at this house party and it escalated to the point 30 police officers were called out, the canine unit and the police helicopter.The kids caused vandalism in the neighbourhood.Police services are considering billing the boy responsible for the costs.I think his parents should be billed as well.Why should the taxpyer be paying for this nonsense? What are your thoughts on this?
Update: The point I was trying to make is that like all tax financed services, they operate on a budget.I realize that emergency services must respond to call, even if they turn out to be a false alarm.My point is that when the annual budget is exceeded the next year taxes are usually raised to cover the unexpected.While... show more The point I was trying to make is that like all tax financed services, they operate on a budget.I realize that emergency services must respond to call, even if they turn out to be a false alarm.My point is that when the annual budget is exceeded the next year taxes are usually raised to cover the unexpected.While the police are attending to "bringing this party under control" who is protecting the rest of the public when they need assistance?There is a finite number of manpower so something has to give.