Church and State?

The words Separation of Church and State are not in our Conti. why are the american people told this by the liberial press over and over?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It's just like the Bible, some people don't care what it actually says if they don't agree with it. Our constitution has the establishment clause which states that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof..." That is it. It means the government cannot establish a state religion, ie, the church of England. No "separation of church and State". It is simply not there. It is, however, in the constitution of the USSR, chapter 1, Article 52: (1) Citizens of the USSR are guaranteed freedom of conscience, that is, the right to profess or not to profess any religion, and to conduct religious worship or atheistic propaganda. Incitement of hostility or hatred on religious grounds is prohibited.

(2) In the USSR, the church is separated from the state, and the school from the church.

And to David_C, do you believe that the 2nd Amendment, ratified in 1787, refers to the National Guard, which was created 130 years later, in 1917; and that the National Guard, federally funded, with bases on federal land, using federally-owned weapons, vehicles, buildings and uniforms, punishing trespassers under federal law, is a "state" militia? Sorry, friend, but you would be mistaken if you did.

And, a far as the "interpretation" of the Constitution is concerned: Why do we feel the need to interpret what was concisely stated by the authors of said document? Certainly they had a more solid grasp of the English language than many of us do today.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Jana11
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

Separation of Church and State are written into our constitution and you better be glad...check this out...would you want a repeat of the same situation that hac occured in the past such as the "Holy" Roman Empire of the Church of England? How about that huh? No...then be glad that our government is secular to the extint that it is. We are still one nation under God...all nations are under God where there are believers and worshippers of Him and His Word. Not just the United States of America. As far as it being in the articles of the constitution...check out The 1st Amendment and the person who coined the phrase so long ago was in fact a framer of the Constitution and signer...Thomas Jefferson who said this:

"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State."

I'm a christian who holds the Bible as the sacred and holy Word of God and believes Jesus is God and the entire nine and I don't have to be told by "the liberal media" that separation of Church and State is a fantastic idea. I can honor God and post His commandments in my home and vote my conscience with regard to political substances and issues without having my rights violated. At least not yet. As we become more secular we will see but that is up to the American people and not because our Government imposes religous regulations on us. We vote to see our laws passed and amended. The US may become rightly divided as these laws ebb and flow but these will be laws that allow people to be less moral out of choice...not forcing people to be less moral or more moral or to tax the tything dollar. Although, I do think that The Lakewood Church is about to go the way of the Church of Scientology in that department along with some of the other churches just based on the millions generated every year. We'll see...that's another post. Love in Christ, ~J~

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Thomas Jefferson and William O. Douglas.

In his famous letter to the minority Danbury Baptists, Jefferson explained clearly that the First Amendment established a "wall of separation between church and state" and that the Baptists need not fear the much larger Congregationalist Churches.

William O. Douglas, renowned Supreme Court Justice for decades, frequently invoked Jefferson's phrase in upholding the religious rights of minority faiths during his tenure on the court.

I hope you understand this. It has been written into majority opinions by the Supreme Court, and was recently used by the Bush-appointed Federal Judge John E. Jones, who struck down the Dover Area School District's attempt at watering down science classes with creationism. See Kitzmiller vs. Dover, 2005.

I didn't learn this from the "liberal press". Most classic conservatives were ardent separationists prior to Reagan. I learned about this during civics classes from grades 4 through 8 in public schools.

• 1 decade ago

1st Amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

The First Amendment guarantees freedom of speech, freedom of the press, and freedom of association and assembly. It also protects the rights of citizens to worship as they please and the right not to be forced to support someone else’s religion.

Thomas Jefferson said that the Constitution erects a “wall of separation” between church and state.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The Treaty with Tripoli, drafted in 1796 by George Washington and signed by John Adams:

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of emnity against laws, religion, or tranqulity"

Thomas Jefferson as well wrote many many times about the importance of the division between religion and US politics!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Bone up on the Establishment clause... it has been repeatedly interpreted by the high court to incorporate a separation of church and state, because it's author, wrote repeatedly about "An eternal wall separating Church and State"

• 1 decade ago

True. The establishment clause is more limited than many liberals would have you believe. But it does exist in its limited way -- the government cannot pass a law that respects any one religion.

There is also no right to bears arms in the constitution, outside of "a well-regulated militia." Why do conservatives claim that individuals have a right to own guns? That right is a fiction.

doctorsc... : I didn't mention the national guard at all. That's your own straw-man.

The 2nd ammendment, as you state yourself, requires no interpretation. It states quite clearly the context in which citizens have a right to bear arms -- as part of a well-regulated militia.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The first amendment:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof… "

• 1 decade ago

If it isnt it needs to be and stop the global takover by the religious tabloided press...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Oh dear,

You poor little fellow.

"Liberal media" are at it again are they? Bastards! Putting ideas into honest folk's heads. Why I oughta.....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.