270 vs a 7mm?

what is the bigger of the two guns? i was told they are practically the same gun.

Update:

what is the metric calculation of a 270

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Really all that matters here is what 7mm are you referring to?

There are over 20 different chamberings in the 7mm definition (so for any smartassed answerers to get technical after me and say im wrong here) I will only list the most common in todays world.

7mm Remington Mag

7mm Remington Ultra Mag

7mm Remington Short Action Utra Mag

7mm STW

7mm WSM

7mm Weatherby Mag

7.62x39(sks and ak47)

7.62x51(.308)

7x57 MAUSER

7mm-08

7.62x54 RUSSIAN

7.5x55 SWISS

7.65x53 ARGENTINE

7.7 JAP

The first 8 are widely used today, with the last four still widely used, but are more of a collector gun than one you are going to shoot on a day to day basis.

Now to your Question. The .270 Winchester is a widely used centerfire cartridge for both medium to big game, as well as target and plinking. I do not own one, but I do like them very much as a low recoiling very accurate round. Developed in 1923, the 270 casing is a 30-06 casing that has been necked down making it slightly longer.

Of the chamberings i have listed, the .308 Winchester is for all practical reasons a near identical chambering. The main difference being a slightly larger bullet diameter by .8mm( the 270 is a .277 and the 308 is .308. but for all intents and purposes, factory loads are very similar. Ballistically the muzzle values are +or- 50 both energy and speed. but the .308 retains more at longer distances.

Over all, yes the .270 and the 7.62x51 are nealy the same,

the rest......not so much!

The next closest is the 7x57 Mauser. The mauser chambering has slightly less velocity and energy( about 2-300 feet per second slower and 2-300 ft lbs less energy) but the case is nearer the same size at 5.7 mm longer than the .270.

And 7mm-08 is nearly identical in ballistics, but the case is 12.8 mm shorter.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

A .270 is actually .277 and a 7mm is .284 so there is very little difference in bullet diameter. Beyond that is depends on which .270 and which 7mm cartridge as there are a few .270's and a lot of 7mm's. The most common of each is the .270 Winchester, which is probably as close to perfect for whitetails as you can get, and the 7mm Remington Magnum which has a much larger powder capacity and of course more energy.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There's now a smaller cartridge firing .277" bullets that has a metric designation, 6.8mm. The modern 7mm's all use a .284" bullet. There really isn't a lot of difference between 270 Winchester and 280 Remington, though there are more 7mm bullets with good sectional density for tougher shots on larger game. 7mm Mauser is ballistically just a tad behind, and 7mm Ackley and especially 7mm RemMag are a bit hotter. They are different, but it isn't as if the difference is truly telling.

• H
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Not even close. The 7mm Remington Magnum is a .28 bore belted magnum round and the .270 is .27 bore standard round. The bullet won't interchange either and the 7mm Magnum is hotter. Now the 7x57 Mauser is an old military round that can be handloaded to approximate the .270 Winchester round, but that about it.

H

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

7 mm is .284 cal .270 is .277 cal so 7mm is bigger. both can take down any game in North America. .270 will have less recoil and ammo cost less. 7mm hits harder for both you and the animal but is a good caliber.

• Denny6 years agoReport

Thank you. That's what I wanted to know. I'm buying a 7 mm and want sure. Again thanks.

• 1 decade ago

7mm is larger diameter, and usually has a larger powderload behind it. The guns may be the exact same size, but the 7mm is a larger caliber with more "knockdown" on average.

• 4 years ago

30/06, 7mm if it's a mag, and 300 on the safe side for the grizzly. All will do the same on the rest. Top pick, well of course the 300. The game will love it!

• 1 decade ago

7mm is bigger. I have both, and if your planning on hunting with one, I'd use the 7mm.

• 1 decade ago

7mm is much larger

• 1 decade ago

Thats like comparing apples with oranges.* They are not the same.*

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.