John 1:43-51: 1) Where, per Philip, did Moses in the Law and the prophets in their writings speak of Jesus?

-

John 1:43 The next day Jesus decided to go to Galilee. He found Philip and said to him, "Follow me."

John 1:44 Now Philip was from Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter.

John 1:45 Philip found Nathanael and said to him, "We have found Him of whom Moses in the Law and also the prophets wrote, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph."

John 1:46 Nathanael said to him, "Can anything good come out of Nazareth?" Philip said to him, "Come and see."

John 1:47 Jesus saw Nathanael coming toward him and said of him, "Behold, an Israelite indeed, in whom there is no deceit!"

John 1:48 Nathanael said to him, "How do you know me?" Jesus answered him, "Before Philip called you, when you were under the fig tree, I saw you."

John 1:49 Nathanael answered him, "Rabbi, you are the Son of God! You are the King of Israel!"

John 1:50 Jesus answered him, "Because I said to you, 'I saw you under the fig tree,' do you believe? You will see greater things than these."

John 1:51 And he said to him, "Truly, truly, I say to you, you will see heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man."

-

Questions:

1) Where, as Philip indicates, did Moses in the Law and the prophets in their writings speak of Jesus?

2) What was the reputation of Nazareth that made Nathanael say, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?

3) What was the significance of Nathanael being “under the fig tree”?

4) What did Jesus mean when He said, “you will see heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending of the Son of Man”? Is this a reference to Jacob’s ladder? What is Jacob’s ladder and what is its significance?

5) Why did Jesus call Himself “the Son of Man”?

-

Favorite Answer

These are knock-out questions!! How about listing them as separate questions and letting us have a try at answering them?

Jesus is first mentioned in Gen 3, and many other times in the Old Test. Do you want more?There are many prophecies of Jesus and type and shadows as well. There is also the times that we see Jesus in a fiery form.

Nazareth was podunk...ummm..hick town that nothing good was in.

Jesus knew where Nathanael was without seeing him.Jesus is saying to him, that is some little thing that you see, hang on, you haven't seen anything yet!!

Jacob's ladder is the way that the angels came back and forth. It is indicative of us being a gateway for heaven, for the work of the kingdom. We are in spirit already praising with the angels. And when we are doing the work of the Lord, we are the gate.

Because Jesus is the Son of Man. He is the Savior.

Deuteronomy 18:15, Isaiah 53, Micah 5:2 Psalm 22, Psalm 45

Source(s): Gramma
  • Deuteronomy 18:15 Moses spoke of a prophet like himself to come in the future, from the Israelites.

Some other prophecies:

Isaiah 9 - Unto us a son is born prophecy (Galilee)

Isaiah 11 - branch from Jesse prophecy

Daniel 7:13-14 One like a Son of Man to rule all and be worshipped (ie divine)

Isiah 40:9-11 Messager of John the Baptist and early missionaries 'Your God is here', 'like a shepher he will tend his flock'.

Micah 5 - Ruler to come from Bethlehem who will rule to the ends of the earth

Malachi 3:1 Lord to come, following forerunner

Nazareth was in country bumpkin north. It was originally populated by tribes who got displaced by Assyrian conquest, so was recently repopulated. The real heartland of Jews was Judah and Benjamin south of Samaria.

In the very next chapter, John 3:14, Jesus gives one place; "And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up".

Even the manna from heaven, was a type for Christ, the bread of life.

1Cor 10:4, "...for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ".

The Word became flesh, thus the son of man. Prior to the Word becoming flesh, He was not refered to as the Son; Hebrews 1:5, "...Thou art my son, THIS DAY have I begotten thee". He was begotten in time.

Source(s): kjv

For Q1, here is the possible answer:

Deuteronomy 18:15-19New International Version (NIV)

15 The Lord your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among you, from your fellow Israelites. You must listen to him. 16 For this is what you asked of the Lord your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly when you said, “Let us not hear the voice of the Lord our God nor see this great fire anymore, or we will die.”

17 The Lord said to me: “What they say is good. 18 I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their fellow Israelites, and I will put my words in his mouth. He will tell them everything I command him. 19 I myself will call to account anyone who does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name.

I agree with lottyjoy, they should be in different questions.