Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

What is the most important thing you know about this characters from American History?

- John Smith

- John Rolfe

- William Penn

- Nat Turner

-Henry David Thoreau

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

- William Lloyd Garrison

-Frederick Douglas

- Charles Goodyear

- Elias Howe

-Harriet Tubman

-Jefferson Davis

- John Brown

i know you think this is alot but trust me it isnt i have had to answer 250 questions and these are just the ones that i cant find....so please help if you can i will give ten points to the most helpful one..thanks in advance!

i just need one sentence about all of them...thanks

2 Answers

Relevance
  • k
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

john smith - Established the 1st first permanent English settlement in North America in Jamestown, Virginia

John Rolfe - with the experiment of planting the first tobacco seeds in the America, In Virgina

William Penn - He gave Pennsylvania a written constitution which limited the power of government, provided a humane penal code, and guaranteed many fundamental liberties.

Nat Turner - In 1831 the year an eclipse of the sun convinced Turner that this was a supernatural sign from God to start an insurrection. Onl August 21st Turner and about seven other slaves killed his owner Travis and his family to launch his rebellion. In all, about 50 whites were killed. 75 other slaves joined his rebellion but after 3,000 members of the state militia were sent to deal with Turner's rebellion, and they were soon defeated. In retaliation, more than a hundred innocent slaves were killed. Turner went into hiding but was captured six weeks later. Nat Turner was executed on 11th November

Henry David Thoreau - was an american author who wrote Walden, a reflection upon simple living in natural surroundings and wrote an essay, Civil Disobedience, an argument for individual resistance to civl government in moral opposition to an unjust state.

Ralph Waldo Emerson = An essayist that wrote an essay called Nature in 1836. As a result of this ground breaking work he gave a speech entitled The American Scholar in 1837, which is considered to be America's "Intellectual Declaration of Independence." He once said "Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you." Considered one of the great orators of the time, Emerson's enthusiasm and respect for his audience enraptured crowds.

William Lloyd Garrison - In the very first issue of his anti-slavery newspaper, the Liberator, William Lloyd Garrison stated, "I do not wish to think, or speak, or write, with moderation. . . . I am in earnest -- I will not equivocate -- I will not excuse -- I will not retreat a single inch -- AND I WILL BE HEARD." And Garrison was heard. For more than three decades, from the first issue of his weekly paper in 1831, until after the end of the Civil War in 1865 when the last issue was published, Garrison spoke out eloquently and passionately against slavery and for the rights of America's black inhabitants.

Frederick Douglas - was one of the foremost leaders of the abolitionist movement, which fought to end slavery within the United States in the decades prior to the Civil War.

Charles Goodyear invented the vulcanization of rubber and madee the first steel pitchfork to replace the heavy iron one.

Elias Howe - invented the first practical sewing machine

Harriet Tubman- was a runaway slave from Maryland who became known as the "Moses of her people." Over the course of 10 years, and at great personal risk, she led hundreds of slaves to freedom along the Underground Railroad, a secret network of safe houses where runaway slaves could stay on their journey north to freedom. She later became a leader in the abolitionist movement, and during the Civil War she was a spy for the federal forces in South Carolina as well as a nurse.

Jefferson Davis - served as President of the Confederate states of america for its entire history from 1861 to 1865 during the civil war

John Brown - was a white American abolitionist who advocated and practiced armed insurrection as a means to abolish slavery

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

john smith helped establish jamestown

hogn rolfe was more political in establishing jamestown- tobacco

william penn established most of pennsylvania, was a quaker

nat turner- something about a revolution right?

thoreau was a naturalist, lived only off nature, walden

emerson followed thoreau, same idea

garrison?

frederick douglas?

goodyear blimp

howe- robberbaron i think

tubman- underground railroad

??

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.