Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 1 decade ago

are an orange and a mandarin the same thing?

is a mandarin a baby orange?

21 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

please correct me if I'm wrong(usualy am) but an orange is a round fruit & a mandarin is a high ranking chinese nobel man told you im usualy wrong sorry

• MYRA C
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Oranges and Mandarin oranges are not the same thing and a Mandarin is not a baby orange.

• 1 decade ago

The Mandarin orange or mandarin (瓯柑) is a small citrus tree (Citrus reticulata) with fruit resembling the orange. The fruit is oblate, rather than spherical, and roughly resembles a pumpkin in shape. Mandarin oranges are usually eaten plain, or in fruit salads. Specifically reddish orange mandarin cultivars can be marketed as tangerines, but this is not a botanical classification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandarin_orange

///////////

An orange—specifically, the sweet orange—is the citrus tree Citrus sinensis (syn. Citrus aurantium L. var. dulcis L., or Citrus aurantium Risso) and its fruit. The orange is a hybrid of ancient cultivated origin, possibly between pomelo (Citrus maxima) and tangerine (Citrus reticulata). It is a small flowering tree growing to about 10 m tall with evergreen leaves, which are arranged alternately, of ovate shape with crenulate margins and 4–10 cm long. The orange fruit is a hesperidium, a type of berry.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orange_(fruit)

BTW: Did you notice that the orange fruit is 'a type of berry' ?? WOW, now I didn't know that, learned something new today, it was not a wasted day :). Thanks for asking the question :)

• 1 decade ago

A mandarin is a type of orange

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

Mandarins are a type of orange.

Source(s): Native Floridian - we just know these things
  • 1 decade ago

A mandarin is a type of orange like a navel orange. It's smaller and sweeter. Great in asian salads.

• 1 decade ago

Mandarin is just a type of orange...small and sweet

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, they have different characteristics. The mandarin is smaller. They are however both citrus and orange in color.

• 1 decade ago

a mandarin is sweeter and much smaller and its also a bit more orange(color)

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I think mandarins are smaller.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.