Is the oil pressure sending unit the same as the oil pressure switch? (1994 cadillac STS)?

Best Answer

I own a shop, and think this; The answer is yes & no. On yours it is called "Fuel Pump Oil Pressure Switch". It is a sending unit! It sends the signal to the oil pressure gage/light to alert you of any pressures that fall below accepatble levels, but it is also a safety switch for the fuel pump in case you are in an accident. A typical name for any oil pressure switch is sending unit, but in your particular case this switch actually has two functions, thus has this name. According to Haynes Repair Manual it is given this name, and is listed as so in the injection system wiring diagram in the back of the book.

Glad to add my 2 cents worth!!!

Source(s): Certified Master Mechanic, Shop Owner, 40 yrs. experience.

I can't say for sure, BUT I do believe that some GM vehicles had "oil pressure switches" which would prevent a car from running or starting if the oil pressure was too low or could also be used for a simple oil pressure light. I'm going to say that in some cases an oil pressure switch is going to be different from an oil pressure sending unit which is used for the oil pressure gauge.

If you have a factory gauge, it's a sending unit. If you have idiot lights alone, it's a switch. I'd rather trust a gauge. A decent shop would know the difference. Your oil pump is weak or loose or clogged. You need 30 PSI, Minimum, at All times to the bearings. I assume you're not simply low on oil, as you just had it into a shop? Check it, anyway.

Yes Sir

Source(s): ASE Tech

Yes

Yes some of these send signals to the computer for the engine as well as the dash gauges

Two names for the same part

yes, one in the same