Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 1 decade ago

What was the cheapest that you can remember a candy bar being?

I can remember 15 cents .

• Mr Ed
    Favorite Answer

5 cents for a small chocolate bar (the size of a normal one now) and 10 cents for a large one.

I also bough soft-drink for 7 cents if I returned the bottle.

I remember one Saturday I asked my Dad for a quarter. He gave it to me, and I said (I won't be home for supper!) I bought a hot dog. French Fries, and a coke. Nothing left over for a tip. But I really felt like an adult, buying my own supper!

EDIT:

Hey Dobe, your picture makes you look like you were 20 or younger. Obviously donesn't represent you - you have to be the same age as I am! LOL

There were two sizes, a nickel and a dime. Back then we had penny candy too. Coca Cola, in 7oz bottles were a dime. 7 oz bottles were the only size and containers then too. There was a 2 cent deposit on the bottles and 3 cents for the 6 pack carrier. This was in the mid 50s.

• Donna

Back again in the '50's chocolate bars were 5 cents ,a bottle of pop 7 cents, cones 5 and 10 cents a loaf of bread 15cents,hot dogs 5 cents, hamburgers 10cents.

Well I guess I can safely say I have turned into my grandmother.

nickel for a candy bar or small coke the big coke was 7 cents and 2 cents deposit for the bottles, kids could go to the store and buy cigerettes for your parents for 25 cents by the time I started smoking they were fifty cents a pack and gas wars had the gas at 19cents a gallon, my first job was $35 a week and tips and then I went up to $1.65 an hour back then you could pay your bills and only make $80 a week and I'm not quite ancient yet

• oldman

Small candy bar for two cents, large(much larger than today's) for 5 cents, small bottle of pop 5 cents with no deposit and a large one was a dime. When softy ice cream first came out you could get an ice cream cone so heaped you'd have to eat it down fast before it melted all over your hand, for a nickle.

I really do not know. I am older that some of you.

This does not mean I have longer memory. I remember a snicker or some chocolate bar being fifteen cents once. Another time I remember buying a snicker bar for thirty five cents.

5 cents

5 cents, then it went up a few pennies, then right to 15 cents. Soon, 15 cents became 17 cents, then 25 cents. I lost track after that.