lmspencr asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Southerners; What has the GOP actually done for you?

Yeah, I am well aware that you really hate us Dems, so no need to explain that. What I am asking is why rally around a party that has done nothing but make everyone poor, lie, cheat, steal, and laughs at you behind your back. I am dumbfounded by this. Has the GOP actually done anything for you? Why continue to support them?

Favorite Answer

I would like to answer Catwhisperer's question, and for the Southern Gop, a little history lesson...

"A DAY IN THE LIFE OF JOE REPUBLICAN"

Joe gets up at 6 a.m. and fills his coffeepot with water to prepare his morning coffee.

The water is clean and good because some liberal fought for minimum water-quality standards.

With his first swallow of water, he takes his daily medication. His medications are safe to

take because some liberal fought to ensure their safety and that they work as advertised.

All but $10 of his medications are paid for by his employer's medical plan because some

liberal union workers fought their employers for paid medical insurance - now Joe gets it too.

He prepares his morning breakfast, bacon and eggs. Joe's bacon is safe to eat because

some liberal fought for laws to regulate the meat packing industry.

In the morning shower, Joe reaches for his shampoo. His bottle is properly labeled

with each ingredient and its amount in the total contents because some liberal fought

for his right to know what he was putting on his body and how much it contained.

Joe dresses, walks outside and takes a deep breath. The air he breathes is clean because

some liberal fought for the laws to stop industries from polluting our air.

He walks on the government-provided sidewalk to the subway station for his government-subsidized

ride to work. It saves him considerable money in parking and transportation fees because some

liberal fought for affordable public transportation, which gives everyone the opportunity to

be a contributor.

Joe begins his work day. He has a good job with excellent pay, medical benefits, retirement,

paid holidays and vacation because some liberal union members fought and died for these working

standards. Joe's employer pays these standards because Joe's employer doesn't want his employees

to call the union.

If Joe is hurt on the job or becomes unemployed, he'll get a worker compensation or unemployment

check because some liberal didn't think he should lose his home because of his temporary misfortune.

It is noontime and Joe needs to make a bank deposit so he can pay some bills. Joe's deposit is

federally insured by the FSLIC because some liberal wanted to protect Joe's money from unscrupulous

bankers who ruined the banking system before the Great Depression.

Joe has to pay his Fannie Mae-underwritten mortgage and his below-market federal student loan

because some liberal decided that Joe and the government would be better off if he was educated

and earned more money over his lifetime. Joe also forgets that his in addition to his federally

subsidized student loans, he attended a state funded university.

Joe is home from work. He plans to visit his father this evening at his farm home in the country.

He gets in his car for the drive. His car is among the safest in the world because some liberal

fought for car safety standards to go along with the tax-payer funded roads.

He arrives at his boyhood home. His was the third generation to live in the house financed by

Farmers' Home Administration because bankers didn't want to make rural loans.

The house didn't have electricity until some liberal stuck his nose where it didn't belong and

demanded rural electrification.

He is happy to see his father, who is now retired. His father lives on Social Security and a union

pension because some liberal made sure he could take care of himself so Joe wouldn't have to.

Joe gets back in his car for the ride home, and turns on a radio talk show. The radio host keeps

saying that liberals are bad and conservatives are good. He doesn't mention that the beloved

Republicans have fought against every protection and benefit Joe enjoys throughout his day.

Joe agrees: "We don't need those big-government liberals ruining our lives! After all, I'm a

self-made man who believes everyone should take care of themselves, just like I have."

As a Texan, I can say its made the world a less safe place to live and fostered the creation of an authoritarian government its wise to be a little bit afraid of . Its also made the majority less free and less prosperous. But most Texans are attracted to the kind of posturing the GOP is famous for. Politics here tends to be mean spirited and the economy has not quite caught on it is no longer extracting wealth from natural resources... but then the Original Democrats...were really philosophically more like today's Republicans.who stood .in opposition to Reconstruction and supported the Klan.

In Lincoln's day the Republicans were the liberals.

The problem with your question is that you assume Republicans want the government to do stuff FOR them. Unlike Democrats, Republicans mostly want to be left alone. They do not want a high degree of government involvement in their daily lives. They don't believe the government should provide them with their every need. They believe people should be self-reliant and that government should be responsible only for the things that the Constitution calls for. Democrats constantly call for more government and higher taxes. The Republican base wants the opposite of what Democrats offer. However, Republican leadership has lost it's way so far this century, which is a big part of the dissatisfaction with the GOP, both from moderates as well as many people within the Republican base.

• john k

Fact check the south is mostly democrats.

Since your obviously Biased, Im sure your agree that the Republicans are the party for the rich, and the Democrats are the Party for the poor.

You know the Politicians want to get re-elected. So have you ever thought that if the democrats actually made any programs to help people become rich they would Lose.

They create programs, to keep people poor as that way they can keep blaming the Republicans, and keep lots of good democrats. On the other side the Republicans need to make more rich people in order to stay in power.

I'll tell you why. the dems have left us nowhere to go. For all practical purposes there were NO republicans here 30-40 years ago.BTW Civil rights issues were between state level dems and Kennedy/Johnson. Lester Maddox & George Wallace were democrat governors and well thought of by their constituents.There were dems you trusted to take our defense seriously Sam Nunn comes to mind. now I associate dems with cowardice appeasement and capitulaion. I have perceived a growing anti-christian sentiment since the supremes took bibles & prayer out of the classroom and they didn't have a problem. I'm not enamoured with the republicans lack of action on regaining control of the borders-which I see as item #1- but at least I don't see them trying to aquire &court the illegal alien vote as if it were just another minority bloc along with prisoners, mental patients & the rest of thei logical voters. hate dems? no-but they changed,not us. now you don't have to be dumbfounded

In 1865 they squashed the notion that that the constitution could be circumvented by claiming states rights. In 1964 they did it again affirming the later.

Don't Democrats hate GOPs too? Has the Democrats done anything for you? Does any party really ever do anything worthwhile except tell lies to get votes?

I don't know where you come up with this crap, I guess moveon.nuts, or maybe you have been hanging out with Jane B. Fonda or John A. Kerry. The Dems were not bad until 1968, then they went into tree hugging smoking dope and the rest is history...

Well, I live in Georgia--so here's my contribution:

>they've ruined our schools and increased the cost of higher education.

>they've caused the lossof important industry, including two major automobile plants

>they closed several major military bases (supposedly to "save money" HA!

> they've refused to listen to warning after warning about overuse of our water supply and gone ahead with overdevelopment. Now we are in a permanant state of water shortage.

>we have around 150K undocumented workers because they refuse to reform the immigration system. I have no problem with these immigrants--I do have a problem with the GOP refusing to enact reforms so these people are documented and legal and we know who and where they are.

I support them because they aren't Democrats. It's the same reason you don't support them.

Source(s): Ask something smart next time