Tom Cruise and Scientology?

Your thoughts on this topic? Now I'm not really one for celebrity gossip although I can't say that I don't occasionally flip through the pages of people while waiting for my turn at the register in the grocery store. But in this instance I find myself with an opinion on the subject (just my opinion mind you), and not necessarily directed at just Tom Cruise. It is my understanding from what I've read & learned from others is that Scientology is nothing more than a cult based on the fictional writing of L. Ron Hubbard, Is anyone a Scientologist that disagrees? I know that we live in a country were we have freedom of religion but I feel like its irresponsible for celebrities like Tom Cruise that people look up to (which I don't understand but hey its part of our culture and no less true)to basically condone a cult in the public eye, I'm not saying he shouldn't be a Scientologist just that maybe shouldn't be so vocal about it. So what do you think?

I'm not a fan of him bashing those who don't share his opinions and beliefs about medication and such Tom Cruise is not a doctor. I fell that John Travolta who is a Scientologist as well handles his religious beliefs in a much more appropriate manner (privately). Also what other celebrity religions do you think should be private? And is it just me or do they keep getting crazier?

Seriously there should be a law against promoting a cult on television/radio. How many people have lost their lives to these bogus religions due to the influence of celebrities. I looked up Scientology they want your money! Tom Cruise is a special case cause hes a mindless walking spokesman so the religion looks innocent. But its no different than any other cult its just really big and thats his fault. Read up on Scientology its insane rubbish.

I support all religions. And I don't condone a ban I simply think that praying on and stealing money from the weak is wrong and shouldn't be allowed or protected just because it claims its self as a religion. I could probably find people to worship my cat as their savior and buy him litter, food and maybe pay my rent but that doesn't make it right!

Favorite Answer

Im an ex-scientologist and I love reading these questions and answers. They are really funny. Yes I will disagree. But since this gets asked so often and answered so often I hope you dont mind the compressed version. Here is my experience from 2 years with them.

A) Its based on research by a scifi writer into self-help programs that were trying to get started back in the 1950s. You had to be medical or religious to operate back then.

B) the aliens stuff is put out by hate sites like xeno.com or parodies like South Park. And even they say its "secret knowledge known only at the top" so 99% of scientologists dont believe that, and the other 1% deny that its any part of their belief.

C) The "church" does not want your money. In fact the church services are open, non-denominational (you can be any religion), and they dont even pass a plate or hint at 10% of your earnings

D) the money is for courses. Good course at specific flat rates. And the rates are very comparable to the same courses from a community college. At the high end there is 1-on-1 counseling which is also priced comparable with any other 1-on-1 counseling. To get the to top can cost the same as a small house if someone is really messed up but that still is cheaper than other religions "all of your worldly goods" to become what I guess would be a priest level.

E) the courses on better communication, better studying, not giving in to peer pressure, getting off drugs and alcohol, and counseling on getting past blocks to your lifes goals would seem to make it a good thing for the hollywood crowd but I know that some prefer that they give their life to God and pray for guidance instead. But scientology goes with a belief in God, and a belief that we should fix ourselves.

Source(s): ACTUALLY been there, and actually DONE that, and actually MET scientologists, and then moved on. Does that count?

Scientology is a load of crap, I'm a Christian and can still understand the motives of supporters of others religions, but I really can't understand what drives those guys. There are a lot of rumours that the famous scientologists use those less well known supporters of the cult for money, errands etc. Which I believe.

While other religions worship Jesus, Allah, Buddha etc, they worship Tom Cruise. Perhaps not in their official belief system, but why do you think someone is going to join them? Because they have a movie star marketing their cult for them.

I'm not personally invested in the faith or whatnot of Tom Cruise, or anybody I don't know for that matter. It is just Christians, and such, becoming angry that there is yet another "religious" faction taking away possible converts. I can't comment on the wholesomeness or kindness of any of the Scientologist, because I don't know much about them. I say that their beliefs/ideals are just as realistic as the next "religion's". And more power to them if they make money along the way. Christian churches all across the nation are doing it, so that's like the pot calling the kettle black, in my opinion.

We live in America, brother, and every person enjoys the right of free speech. Let's look at the other side. Kirk Cameron is an actor. He is extremely vocal about his stand for Jesus Christ. What if his beliefs offended the sensibilities of another religion or cult? Do they have the right to force him to stop witnessing just because they don't happen to agree with him?

I am not defending Mr. Cruise's beliefs. I am defending his right, as an American citizen, to comment on them wherever and whenever he sees fit. I do this because as a Christian, I value my right to be able to talk about my beliefs.

Perhaps your time could be used in a more positive way by praying for Mr. Cruise, that God would touch him. Maybe you could pray that the spirits of blindness and false religion be bound so that he might be confronted with the truth. Intercessory prayer works. Grousing only opens the floor for debate, which usually solves nothing.

God bless.

In my opinion Scientology is nothing more than a cult designed to brainwash people into giving their money to this organization. There is nothing religious about it other than being based on the science-fiction writing of R.L. Hubbard.

The more people are aware that this is a cult the better things will be for society.

• Aravah

If we ban Cruise from talking about his religion, what comes next? Or who will you ban after that? Wiccans? Atheists? Mormons?

Once all of those are gone everyone would have to start arguing over which denomination of Christianity should be banned from public next.

Scientology is a form of gnosticism. Gnostics believe that they have acquired a secret knowledge that would free them from this evil, material world and join the Pleroma, the good God.

I think its more of crapology......science keeps changing so means his believes will keep changing when ever a scientist changes a theory.......to top it all the scientist might be right or wrong we can never know............

• ...

I laugh my socks off at Kabbalah and Scientology.

Peace and lurve.

I don't know. Ask the Catholic Church he left in order to join!!