Can you store brown sugar in a canister?

Every time I try to store brown sugar in a stainless steel canister, It is hard as a rock the next time I go to use it. Should I just keep it in the plastic bag it comes in?

Best Answer

I don't think it matters where you keep it. I keep mine in the plastic bag it comes in and it still gets hard. What I do prior to using, is put it in the microwave for a few seconds. This allows the sugar to soften up, no different than when you first bought it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_sugar

http://web.extension.uiuc.edu/mclean/factsheets/nu...

One of those clay disks that you soak in water and keep in the brown sugar canister is a great investment. Keeps the sugar soft and is widely available wherever cooking gear is sold.

Or... try online --

http://www.amazon.com/HAROLD-CO-INC-54923-BROWN/dp...

Alternatively, you can store a slice of fresh bread in the brown sugar canister. /the bread will absorb the extra moisture and go completely hard in about two weeks -- add a new slice at that time, throw the old one away, and you'll always have soft brown sugar.

I have tried all the "tricks" people tell you to keep brown sugar soft. I can say that none of them have worked worth a darn. I put it in a large Ziploc and squeeze out all the air. That's the only thing that's ever worked for storing brown sugar for me!

If you keep it in the bag and place a piece of bread on top of the brown sugar it will help it from going hard.

• Sheryl

I think tupperwear is the best way to go because it has an air tight lid. I'd go and get four or five matching ones, tall enough to put an entire bag of flour, sugar, etc. in it and then keep them on the kitchen counter, pantry, or cupboard, whichever is more convenient for you. It also will keep any creepy crawly critters out of them. :)

I use a terracotta disk to put in my brown sugar canister. It helps keep the humdity under control and it doesn't harden as quick. Also you can grade your chunks as you would cheese.

you can store brown sugar in just about any thing for a long time. it will get harder no matter what over time. but like he said above the less humidity the better

You can keep it well sealed in the bag but a plastic container that seals well like Tupperware works well also. That is where I store mine and don't have a problem if I seal it closed well.

• D J

You can keep brown sugar in any air tight container. I use a tupper for all my staple. Flour, sugar, brown sugar, powdered sugar.......

As long as it's air tight you should be ok.

i think the humidity is guilty for that not the stainless steel canister