tips on potty training on almost 3yrs old boy?

i need some help and my son will be 3 in may and he soent know if he want to go or not he will stand up next to the potty but he cant go we take him to the potty every 30min and he will wait until we put a diaper or underware on him then he will go and i dont know what to do please if anyone has tips please tell. thanx for reading

• Cassie
    Favorite Answer

My son absolutely hated the potty, so we bought a toddler seat that fits over the toilet, and he loves it (i think because he feels like a "big boy).

Also just make sure you give him a lot of encouragement when he does go in the toilet/potty, and don't tell him off or make fun of him if he has an accident. All kids do slip up sometimes, so you have to be prepared to clean up a few messes.

Boy are tough to potty train. My doctor told me with my first son that have him watch a male figure. I was laughing my head off. I am single there no way. You could let him watch his daddy go potty. My oldest finally go potty when he 5 months way be turning 5. He went to his daddy for a week and he finally got him going. I have a three year old that be four in may. I can't even get him there. He would sit on the potty for couple of seconds. Then he thought he went but didn't. Then couple days later he refuse to do it. Then I got him underwear for christmas with his favorite charactors. But I put underwear on him all he did was cry for his diaper. It didn't work he peed in the underwear and seem didn't care. I wish you good luck.

Source(s): But one thing you don't want to do is don't force him that will hold him back more. My three year has learning disabilities with hearing loss with wearing hearing aid's I think one reason I am not getting anywhere on him.

I know what you are going through! My son needed to be completely comfortable and relaxed. Potty training standing up helped him to see what was happening and connect the sensations. He could safely and comfortably do this with The Potty Stool http://www.thepottystool.com I never pressured my children. I just set this stool at the toilet and said, "When you are ready to go potty on the toilet, you let me know." My kids were so interested in trying it and imitating big kids that there was never any problem. The handrails and sides gave my kids extra security and stability so they actually enjoyed using the toilet.

This is the safest stool I have found and it made potty training easy. Good luck.

with out saying i went through the same thing is an understatment. my oldest son who is now nine wnt go to save his life then soemone told me to put him in regular underware and to throw cheerios in the potty for him to aim at. well the underware method worked but not the cheerios. but let me say this he was almost four before he was completly ptty trained. they say boys are alot harder then girls and i know that i have two of each and the girls were simply the best. i know underware mean more clothes to wash but when you look at it to a child its like weating a diaper when they ahve pull ups on. with our youngest son we did the prize chart and he caught on really fast it took us one summer for him because he was always trying to go to the store. for evertime he goes potty give him a sticker and when hes earned so many stars if you can take him to the dollar tree and let him pick a toy. hope this helps

I was getting absolutly no where with my son (who is also 3 in may) until I put a bit of blue bath tint into the toilet and told him if he pees it will turn green. Well that gave him just enough encouragement to try and pee int ehpotty, he saw it turn green and now he is really gettingt eh hang of it. He still has a lot of accidents but at least he is going to the bathroom and has cut down about 50% on the accidents, and in just 2 weeks!

I had the same problem with my second son. He was old enough to tell me he needed a diaper or pull-up, but he wouldn't tell when he needed to go to the bathroom! Guess he knew he didn't need to since I was still providing pull-ups. Once I stopped buying them, he finally started going to the bathroom on his own. Kids just really don't like peeing in and wearing regular underwear. So bear through it and he will eventually go in the toilet.

What I tried worked for my son! I went to the dollar store and wal-mart and bought cheap toys and put them in a basket. Whenever he goes to the potty, I give him a pick out of the basket. I got the idea from a co-worker. Worked like a charm.

• mataya

He is widespread with precisely what he's doing. this is become a pastime to him, be organization and tell him huge boys pass on the potty, in case you preserve messing on your pants we are able to could desire to diapers on you, this could embarrass him sufficient to apply the lavatory. i do no longer consider spanking a infant, it may desire to reason greater issues then it solves subsequently. a while outs on a solitary place (a lesser used room) have been you are able to inspect bypass-verify him could be a deterrent, a place the place there is not any longer something to do or see.. good success, i wish i replaced into efficient

When he is ready to go he will do it. It just clicks in his brain one day. People told me that same thing and I thought they were crazy. and then one day....you think you are going to pull your hair out and you are about to give up and then he'll go pee pee in that potty. We are living proof!!!

Good luck! I know it's tough!

Maybe you could make it "fun" to go potty...

I know my step-mom had to with my younger brother. She put some cherrios (You could use fruit loops or basically anything) in the toilet bowl and told him to "shoot" them. It sounds funny and weird but it worked for him. You could try that?