I want to go to graduate school, but I have a couple of snags I need to work out. Please help!!?

I am looking into going to graduate school, but I have two minor (potentially major) problems. In 2006, I graduated with a B.A. in Mass Communications. I didn’t have a Step B in order, so I took a yea off of school. I am not interested in going back to school and getting my Master’s. The thing is my GPA isn’t as high as I need it to be. Since I have already graduated from a four-year college, is it possible to go to a junior college and take classes to boost my GPA?

My second problem is that while I was away at college, I didn’t make friends with any of my professors. Since I don’t have any instructors that I can look at to ask for letters of recommendation, what are my other options?

Thank you for all who took time out of there day to answer my questions!!

Favorite Answer

Graduate programs will look at your GPA from your 4 year university separately from a jr college so there isn't a point in trying to boost your GPA. It is not clear if you want a PhD for grad school. Most post-grad schools require an entrance exam such as the GRE, GMAT, LSAT, MCAT etc.

You need to score well on these to overshadow your GPA. It's not too late to go back and ask for help from your old university. Letters of recommendation may also come from places of work and colleagues. In your application stress why you want to attend grad school and how you have prepared for it in your career.

Reading essays that do not have a clear focus or seem like the person want to go to grad school to stay in school are always placed at the bottom of the pile. What experiences have prepared you for the schooling you are seeking? What goals will grad school help you accomplish? Good luck.

• MM

Taking community college courses won't have any impact on the GPA you earned for your degree. However, they will show graduate schools that you're serious about your studies and can handle the work, so they're not a bad idea. They'll also give you some potential alternate sources of recommendations, but try getting in touch with some of your old professors. They might remember you better than you think they do, or at least be able to provide you with some helpful guidance. Since you're not going after an academic degree, it might also be a good idea to approach employers and/or volunteer supervisors as well.

Well, evidently you were successful enough to graduate with your B.A. so don't beat yourself up.

I would not back track to a community college level, that just doesn't make sense. It will not affect the GPA you achieved at your four year institution.

Look, if you wish to pursue a masters, you can do it. First you must decide on which program of study will be the most appropriate for achieving your overall career goals and objectives. Once you have that, you will need to find an institution that offers that degree. You can then inquire about the entrance requirements particular to that program of study.

Read the below very carefully, and so follow up with it. it will be a valuable resource for you,

You can obtain this information by going to www.collegeboard.com/splash/ and using the sites College MatchMaker search engine, or you can also click on the related links below which will take you directly to the site. You can research colleges and universities by name, or by programs of study, or by geographical location, size, or combinations of part or all of them etc. The site will provide you with a list of institutions based on your request. It will give you the schools background, accreditation, degree offerings, programs of study, entrance requirements, tuition and fees, room and board, athletic programs etc. and a link to each institutions official web page. Make sure the college or university has a regional accreditation (most important). Practice navigating this site. It will be well worth the time and effort.

• Adam J

I was sort of in the same boat as you...

I applied to grad school two years after I left college, but was still able to get letters of recommendation-- professors realize that its part of their jobs, and I'd bet a lot of them wind up writing letters for studnts the barely remember.

As far as the GPA... There are mitigating circumstances. If your sophomore and freshman grades were bad (say from excessive partying) but then improved schools will take this into account... Alternately you can shoot to write a really persuasive essay or get an amazingly high score on whatever test you need for your masters. Good luck.