What does SOS stand for?

I know what SOS means, but I have always wondered what it stands for.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

s.o.s. was something they gave us in the army mess hall

cannot tell you what the first s stood for, y/a gets up set

the o was for on

the second s was for shingle

• 1 decade ago

I think it originally stood for Save Our Ship but another meaning is Save Our Souls

• 1 decade ago

Actually, the first answer is right. SOS was chosen as a distress signal simply because its dot-dot-dot, dash-dash-dash, dot-dot-dot pattern is easy to distinguish. The letters they represented were arbitrary.

The explanations that involve "Save our ship/souls", "survivors on shore", "sinking our ship", and so on are folk etymology, likely to help people remember the distress code. They're known as backronyms.

• 5 years ago

Sos doesnt actually stand for anything

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

SOS stands for Save our Souls. I think it was originally "Save our Ship" but it can also be used as "Save our Souls". I never knew it meant that, I thought it meant something else that I cant remember..like Some One Save or something lol

but yes...

It is indeeeeeeed Save Our Souls

• 1 decade ago

SOS stands for save our souls!

• 1 decade ago

a long time ago, a person on a ship send a signal to someone on land saying "sos", which means save our ship. Now, its is more commonly used as a different meaning....save our souls :D

• 5 years ago

I've always heard it stood for Some One Special S.O.S!

• 1 decade ago

SAVE OUR SOULS.Christ can Save your Soul.So the next time you feel like you've been emotionally ship wrecked on the jagged rocks of life's shoreline..... give Him a call.

• 1 decade ago

S0S MEANS: SAVE 0UR S0UlS.

iT iS USED M0StlY iN MiLiTARY.

iN The Netherlands (Is in Europe, Where I Come from.) iT iS A SlANG F0R C0CAiNE.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.