Donovan asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

can you use dawn dish soap on your dog?

Favorite Answer

Yes you can. However you do not want to use it for just regular bathing of your dog. Dawn is mostly used on animals that have gotten into grease or oil. It is used to help clean wildlife that have wound up in the middle of an oil spill.

If your dog is covered then use the Dawn all over. Be extra careful around the eyes as it will burn. Make sure you get all of the soap off. I would also recommend using a cream rinse or a doggie conditioner to replenish the good natural oils the the Dawn removed.

If your dog only has a few spots that are greasy or oily then just apply the Dawn to those areas, scrub, rinse and then bathe the entire dog in a dog shampoo.

Source(s): Vet Tech and owner of many dogs. I have safely used Dawn on my animals when needed.

I wouldn't suggest to use dish soap, it may irritate your dogs skin. I have never heard of using vinegar. This is what ya do to get rid of fleas: 1. Go to the store and buy a bottle of cheep flea shampoo and flea cream 2. Wash you dog thoroughly with the flea shampoo 3. Apply the flea cream Note: Continue to flea bathe your dog every week until it appears that the fleas have gone and follow the directions on the flea cream for further use (ie apply once a month).

Dawn Oxi

Our breeder (a well respected show breeder) reccommends Dawn with Oxy for getting white dogs white. Make sure to follow up with a good conditioner.

yes in a pinch if you have to. Dawn is used all the times for animals of oil spills, it's very gentle but as with any soap keep away from eyes! You can also use baby shampoo.

A few years back, my dog got sprayed by a skunk. The vet's office told me to use dawn to help break up the oils in the stink. Use it sparingly, not for everyday or weekly bathing. Still doubtful? ask your local vet clinic. Good luck.

Yes, you can use dish soap on your dog if you don't have dog shampoo available,but the dog shampoo keeps them cleaner longer and it takes away the "wet dog" smell.

I would recommend against it. You should purchase the animal shampoos you see at the pet stores. Your dog could have an allergic reaction to the dawn, not to mention if you don't wash it all out it will leave residue. Look at it this way, would you use dawn dish soap on your hair?

No, never use Dish soap on a dog as it can dry out the dog skin, never use anything on your dog without the vets approval

Yes, you sure can. We use it at the hospital to get rid of fleas on young puppies and kittens. Dawn and Joy detergent are very safe, in fact... when I volunteered for a local aquarium in high school we used the detergents to clean stranded wildlife.

I would not recommend it for weekly or monthly bathing. But if you need to use it in a pinch, go for it... completely safe. Otherwise go out and purchase dog shampoo.