Pete P asked in Business & FinanceInvesting · 1 decade ago

How do I switch stock certificates to book entry form?

I have some old stock certificates of Disney and Wal-Mart and would like to keep the shares, but would like to get them in book-entry form. I'm looking at using an internet-based brokerage firm (Scottrade, E-Trade, etc.) Is this something they can do?

1 Answer

  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Yes. Set up the account. Look at help or call the help line.

    You will want to sign over the shares by filling in the back of the certificate correctly and then overnight them. (That way you have a tracking number.)

    This is what I did with all the stocks I had (and I used one of the firms you mentioned and was very pleased with them). Do this sooner rather than later, because it can take a week or two to get them transferred.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.