skibunny asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

*** cat cleans litter box for hours?

our unneutored maincoon cleans the litter box for 10-15 minutes sometimes i was just wondering if anyone elses cat does the same

Best Answer

He cleans his own litterbox! How do you get him to do that?

• Zina

I had one (it was a Littermaid) and it worked well for one cat, two cats was too much for it. My adult cats had no trouble adjusting to it. It gives them plenty of time to come and go so it's not like they are startled mid-squat. I don't recommend the Littermaid, which is the most popular brand. I'm sure there are others out there. There are too many nooks to clean and it always seem yucky no matter how much I cleaned it. The worst part is the location of the plug for the AC adapter - It's right on top, uncovered. My cat peed on it and shorted it out and sparks shot everywhere and scorched some things in the closet. It's amazing my house did not catch on fire. I know my cat has bad aim, but come on... a few common sense upgrades and it would be a better product.

We have 9 cats. Our senior guy, who just died at 19 years old was a mane coon, and for his entire life he was obsessed with digging in the litter box for anywhere from 15 minutes to a half an hour. He'd dig in it, around it, and back in it until he was satisfied that he had sufficiently covered up "his business". Interestingly enough, after all that effort, often he completely missed the "business" and had covered up everything else but that! LOL This simply inspired him to try harder - and continue to miss!

So your kitty's behavior is normal, I believe. He is just trying to be fastidious.

My kitten also tries to do that. (If I'm thinking of the same thing you are!!) My kitten will do his business and then dig for a good five to ten minutes after that to try to bury it. He doesn't alyaws bury his target, but he makes a HUGE pile of sand on one side of the litter box!!

From CATS MEOW and Chipmunk

• anon

Is he trying to use the litter box? Is he urinating all right? this could be the first signs of a urinary tract issue. It could be an infection or stone. If it looks like he is having any difficulty urinating, scratch to stop, try to pee, scratch stop etc...he should be seen by the vet.

My cat does the same!! Think she's super fussy about covering all up. Only time it annoys me, is in the middle of the night. Change it straight away, and should stop.

Are you cleaning the box often enough? It should be cleaned at least once a day. :)

My cat doesn't but your pretty lucky to have a cat that cleans thelitter box all by itself

I want my cat to clean his litterbox!

Lucky..!:]